IE click issue

POMO-man

Please forgive me if this has been discussed a billion times. I'm working on a web site at www.hillcrestinfo.com. This was designed by a different designer and there are some flash elements. Well, I'm the new designer and our client isn't happy with the fact that IE users are having to first CLICK on the main NAV bar before it sort of "activates" and then they have to click again to utilize the links.Do you know what I mean? Is there a hack to fix this? Is there a different way to imbed .swf files to optimize for IE?Thanks!

Err... that doesn't work in Opera (9.5 at least), btw - users still have to click once to activate the control. But less than 2% of users use Opera, so that is not as much of a worry.

Everyone who has the following browsers should take the following actionsFirefox--#1 Browser. Pr0v3nInternet Explorer--Find every file on your computer that deals with internet explorer and hit "DELETE". Also if you have firefox and internet explorer open at the same time, some links could cause your computer to crash and it will be really messed up.Opera--One of the better browsers. You should keep itNetscape--DELETE OFF YOUR COMPUTER NOW. IT SUCKS

Netscape navigator 9 is almost indistinguishable for Firefox anyway... I am convinced that all they have done is create a new theme, add a spalsh screen and change the about page. There are no other differences as far as I can tell. I wonder if the Mosaic rendering engine is still used anywhere...

Netscape uses Gecko, the same engine that Firefox uses. The UIs are almost exactly the same, Netscape has been re-branded.You can't delete IE. Go ahead, try it. Windows uses IE for a lot of internal things other then browsing the web. Help files are displayed using the IE engine, for example. There have been people who have developed proof-of-concept techniques for deleting IE and still running Windows but they aren't practical for normal use, removing IE cripples Windows even more then it already is. Many applications are also hard-coded to run iexplore.exe for launching external pages. You can see that when you have a default web browser set to something other then IE and applications still launch web pages in IE. Other things require IE. Windows Update is one of them. Remove IE and you can't update Windows any more.Also, in my humble opinion Opera is the superior browser over Firefox. Firefox has a nice extension interface, but Opera has everything built-in and is much faster then Firefox. In fact, newer versions of Opera are getting faster, whereas newer versions of Firefox are getting slower. Standards support is pretty comparable in them, although I don't like the fact that Firefox is supporting proprietary CSS filters and things. Proprietary CSS and Javascript is the main reason we have compatibility problems today.

Archived