Suggestions on learning Java

javaholic5

Hi,I'm not a programmer but would like to become one.I've read about Java, and know what it can do compared to other OOP and structured languages. I have decided that I want to learn the language. Any suggestions on how to approach this as a non-programmer??How long might It take for a non-programmer to learn 'CORE' Java?I assume that once I know CORE Java, i'd be fine on continuing to make progress.

Do you want to learn Java for the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) or for Java Server Pages (JSP) and a web implementation?For JVM, first get an IDE, I suggest Eclipse. For both methods, start with simple concepts, practicing the basic programming constructs (sequence, selection and iteration). Make a "hello world!" program (make it print "hello world" on the screen). Then, move on to objects and the other more complex language features. I would sincerely suggest you buy or borrow a book on the language, they often will be able to guide you through a structured approach to learning the language.How long? Depends on how deep you want to go :) could take up to 10 years to truly master it but the concepts should come within a month. Err... and Java relies heavily on libraries that provide functionality, so you still have quite a way to go after learning the "core" of the language. For example, if you want to create graphical UIs for your JVM applications then you will have to learn about the Abstract Windowing Toolkit and the Software Windowing Toolkit, or Swing.

When I first learned Java, I spent a lot of time going through Sun's tutorials here:http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/
Yeh, the Java Tutorial from the Sun site is supposed to be good.Were you already a programmer when you started to learn Java?

Yeh, the Java Tutorial from the Sun site is supposed to be good.Were you already a programmer when you started to learn Java?
Hah, sorry for the late response. No, I wasn't really a programmer then. I had begun playing around with javascript and had done some stuff in BASIC when I was a child, but Java was really my first introduction to real programming.

Hi,I'm not a programmer but would like to become one.I've read about Java, and know what it can do compared to other OOP and structured languages. I have decided that I want to learn the language. Any suggestions on how to approach this as a non-programmer??How long might It take for a non-programmer to learn 'CORE' Java?I assume that once I know CORE Java, i'd be fine on continuing to make progress.
hiiii i m also starting to learn java. I 2 wanna b a web developer. 2 understand it easily i m learning c++ now, it abt to complete. How u r learning it. If u get any easy way to learn it plz informm me 2.

Err... Java isn't the best way to start learning web development, I suggest you focus on the basic web technologies (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP) before learning Java. Though Java is quite a good general-purpose language to learn. Remember to practice alot, and make up small projects that test your knowledge in different ways. C++ is quite like Java, although I find it just different enough to make silly syntax mistakes.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
a bit o/t but what type of languages goes into making sites like youtube, facebook?a friend of mines told me the core of facebook was built on java
facebook - php,javascript (throw in a DB and CSS)..other web dev odds and ends and basically you could have something close to it.. might use java on some server stuff or for building some of the applications (tetris & pacman ftw). I'd be curious as to what he was talking about as far as 'the core'.youtube - videos compressed and played through flash (actionscript and whatever scripting language for the site)but basically there are multiple ways to go about it.

MySpace uses asp for the backend. (I know its not on list, but figured I'd put that out there). Also asp has a several large websites, http://www.asp.net/get-started/ has a few listed near the top. PHP is a great language and was my first "advanced" web language. I am currently working toward asp.net now, as most of the jobs I've found in my area are looking for ASP and not PHP. (why are so many Senior Technical Managers so stuck on MS products...)Anyway. I agree with the above... learn HTML(XHTML)/CSS and maybe a little Javascript before you start worrying about other languages. Having the best backend code in the world won't do you a bit of good if you don't understand how to make an appealing website that people want to use.Just my 2 cents.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived