Application Documentation

ScottR

Just curious as to personal preferences. When you start developing a new application, what type of documentation (if any) do you prefer. ex: flowchart, TOE chart, pseudocode? For me, I usually use pseudocode. It's fast, easy, and usually leads me to think of better, more efficient ways to code that particular app.

I usually begin with a task chart, but most often I don't write it down, but just visualize it. I guess the projects I've worked on haven't been big enough for me to actually need to write anything down... not to mention I haven't worked in a team, so I've never needed to write tasks for others either.After I've cleared out exactly what the app needs to do, I begin with some pseudo code which is only as detailed as far as a flow chart can go. I never draw even a mind flow chart, as I just $uck at visuals... not to mention it takes me more time to make the graphic than it would take me to write down a preudo code.From the pseudo code on, I usually comment it at the top, and then start writing the real code further down the file. I also use that area to place certain hard code examples during the initial testing phase. For example, if I had to create an XSLT that would process multiple XML files, I'd hardcode one of them in a comment, and try out doing it for everyone. When there's a problem, I'd "unleash" the hardcodes to see if the problem is in my logic, or in other circumstances (in this case: a wrong path).

It depends on whether or not you call an entire website one application or a set of smaller applications. For the former, I only really need a graphical mock-up to represent how the user is going to experience things. For the latter, I prefer a flow chart followed closely by a written functional specification. Depending on the time live, I might code a proof of concept to demonstrate the site's/app's user interface. This generally seems to be enough to discover major flaws in structural concepts. From there, its all just manual labor.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I usually just visualize and if I don't know exactly how to code, I look for examples.As far as pseudo code goes... I hand-draw flowcharts only if it's hard to wrap visually all at once. Pseudo-code is a bit slow and tedious for my taste.If you were going do do something more complex like a RDBMS design I would say take your time a and create a UML mockup. I would give you clues but I haven't had to go through this process yet.For documentation, recently I have been beginning to keep a version tracking listing as well as a todo list tracker by using a wiki. This is a good way to gauge progress and to go back if necessary. To see how I use this gotohttp://www.collab.jpasims.net/mwiki/index....title=Main_PageIf you want a software to quickly and easily map out concepts get freemind. It's FLOSS and the data is stored in XML so If you wanted to you could publish to web very easily. They even have a java applet that you can embed in a site to show the map online graphically. I use this to map everything... It takes a lot of strain off the memory. You can get it here.http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_PageI'm very very organized in the work that I do because it frees my mind up for more important things like visualizing new techniques of how to code things. I waste as little energy as possible on remembering things.

Archived