Website review and recommendations

rustysilo

Hi,My wife did a website for a coop she helps run. She downloaded a template from a template site and modified it and is having issues.1. The donate Paypal logo on the home page is too big, yet it appears to be sized the same as the other paypal logo in the right sidebar. Same problem on the FAQ page.2. There is a little odd question mark symbol next to the coop name in the header. She says she doesn't know where it came from. It appears to me that perhaps she accidentally added it, but I really don't know.3. The weather box at the top of the right sidebar is overlapping.4. The member login is apparently not working correctly.5. Photo's on the product page are slow loading. She may have uploaded full size files in this case rather than shrinking them down for web use.6. Last, but not least, the coop wants to add an order form for produce so people can simply place their order through the web page. She tried creating a php form based on a tutorial she saw, but couldn't get it to work. Can we get recommendations on which type of form is most efficient and secure while being fairly simple to set up and maintain? It would be fantastic if we could also set it up to process the form and convert it to an Excel sheet or a file that would be accessible (available for import) in Excel (ie - .csv)Is anyone willing to do a qc on this and give some pointers???The site is www.jaxnaturalfoods.comWarm Regards

2. There is a little odd question mark symbol next to the coop name in the header. She says she doesn't know where it came from. It appears to me that perhaps she accidentally added it, but I really don't know.
That is a character which the browsers character set does not include. Just erase it from the source.
3. The weather box at the top of the right sidebar is overlapping.
i suggest you get rid of it. What purpose does it have? How does it encourage customers to buy the goods from her co-op? Or is it just a gimmick?
4. The member login is apparently not working correctly.
What happened to the login.php page? Make sure the path is correct.
5. Photo's on the product page are slow loading. She may have uploaded full size files in this case rather than shrinking them down for web use.
Correct. Use an image editing program to create thumbnails.
6. Last, but not least, the coop wants to add an order form for produce so people can simply place their order through the web page. She tried creating a php form based on a tutorial she saw, but couldn't get it to work. Can we get recommendations on which type of form is most efficient and secure while being fairly simple to set up and maintain? It would be fantastic if we could also set it up to process the form and convert it to an Excel sheet or a file that would be accessible (available for import) in Excel (ie - .csv)
PHP is fairly popular, and Excel has an API for PHP that you can use the create excel spreadsheets. On this forum, we can help her with any problems she has creating the PHP script if she likes.By the way, in Internet Explorer 7 there are some major position issues with the layout, especially around the header and menu areas, as well as with the flower to the right. Try fiddling with the padding to resolve those.

She has the weather box on there because the coop does not run out of a store. I suppose it would be more appropriately termed as a buying club rather than a coop, however it does operate much like a coop would. The club orders goods and they are delivered to a church parking lot (one of the club's members church) and everyone goes once a month for the delivery to pick up their order. Everyone is required to help unload the truck, sort the orders, and help clean up afterward. This occurs outside so she puts the weather box on there as a service to the members more or less. I'm with you though. I think it would be better without.Thanks so much for your suggestions and quick response. I'll refer her to this thread and hopefully we can get the site working better. The coop doesn't have much operating revenue since it is not run for profit, but to make organic goods available at a more affordable cost.

• 3 weeks later...

hi. Just had a quick browse - I mean quick - at your site. The pay pal issue - it looks to me as if the image has been 'over stretched'. You need to souce another image or group of images which were larger than your originals - incidently this effect can happen to an image which has also been 'reduced too much. I have this problem with images all the time. Navigate to the pay pal site and see what you can grab.Over all the site looks okay but I am never keen on dark backgrounds which do not offer a good contrasting font colour; makes it hard to read and conversely; dark background with a small white font can be difficult too - looks to me as if you are using font size 8 or 9? maybe use the same font family but try stepping it up one font size - might glare less (I do not have brilliant eye sight so readability is always an issue) if you adjust the font colour from white to a very vague light gray> hardly different but can reduce the glare of white. Did you resolve your PHP issue as I'm interested in your solution too. GTood luck. :)

Archived