A lil database security thing

remrow

Um i setup a password for a acess database.SO in a web browser it says, password is incorret.so how do i access to my database using asp??
Just fill in the Password= bit of the open command for the connection with the password you set.
Another question is it good to set password to a database??
Definitely. Or else anyone could access your database.

• 2 weeks later...
Just fill in the Password= bit of the open command for the connection with the password you set.Definitely. Or else anyone could access your database.
thanks for your answer but i could not really understand what you told !! can you do some coding?

Well, you have your ADODB.Connection object, and when you want to open a database you call the open method of this function, right, and the first parameter of that method should be a string with all the database information, e.g. "Provider", "userID", etc., all semi-colon delimited. Just add on "Password=<yourpw>" to that parameter. Have a look at the example on http://www.w3schools.com/ado/met_conn_open.asp

i viewed the link and i used it in my page.set conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;data source=c:/webdata/northwind.mdb;userID=xxx;password=yyy" But there is an error. The userID space what do i write in it?next question what is the ADODB and OLEDB?

I don't know what userID you have set up on the database, I didn't create your database. You should know that. If you can't figure it out then create a new database and use that. ADODB is a library of database utilities from Microsoft, it stands for ActiveX Data Objects for Databases. OLEDB is a data store library from Microsoft, it stands for Object Linking and Embedding for Databases.

Well, when you create credentials for a database usually you associate a user with a password. But try leaving it blank (e.g. excluding it from the string) - can you access the database?

Ya i put the user, but still the problem is sameError Type:Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80040E4D)Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user./private/index.asp, line 5The code:set con=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")con.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; data source=database/datausual.mdb; userID=admin; password=remrow"What can i do?

Ya i put the user, but still the problem is sameError Type:Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80040E4D)Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user./private/index.asp, line 5The code:set con=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")con.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; data source=database/datausual.mdb; userID=admin; password=remrow"What can i do?
The workgroup information file is the System.MDW file. Either you are locking the application out by running Access at the same time yourself, or the file cannot be found by the application. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305542My suggestion: rather than jumping through hoops like this with Access, consider diverting your efforts towards moving to SQL Server or mysql instead. Both are available as a free download and offer a much better database platform than Access.

The workgroup information file is the System.MDW file. Either you are locking the application out by running Access at the same time yourself, or the file cannot be found by the application. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305542My suggestion: rather than jumping through hoops like this with Access, consider diverting your efforts towards moving to SQL Server or mysql instead. Both are available as a free download and offer a much better database platform than Access.
Umm, i was not running acess while i run the page. must be the file is missing , how do i get it if it is really missing?about the mysql and sql yeah i like to go to them but i am not quite familiar with them. I want to go to php too, but getting into asp first i have no idea how do i start learning them.

Umm, i was not running acess while i run the page. must be the file is missing , how do i get it if it is really missing?
I doubt if it's missing so much as not found. I seem to remember something about an INI file where you could define where to find the workroup file... don't know off-hand whether that's relevant to a web app. The answer is sure to be in the MS references--have you consulted them?
about the mysql and sql yeah i like to go to them but i am not quite familiar with them. I want to go to php too, but getting into asp first i have no idea how do i start learning them.
Exactly the same way you're currently learning about Access Workgroups: search online, try things out, ask specific questions when you're stuck. Same way of learning, but far more point in doing so (and far more chance of finding solutions in forums).

Archived