got the basics now what? suggestions please

paulmo

here's my site working in notepad, index.php file with date and comment form script (from digitalmidget), external css, paypal, links with hover color, floating columns (which seem tricky), image. never did figure out round corners...seems kind of boring, want something more. any suggestions please? would like user interface, more integrated/stylish comment form. would like the background to vary in hue like light's hitting it. maybe some animation with trolls. seems everytime i try to put in javascript or anything fancy then my whole css gets $%& up. as long as it's simple it executes right. is this typical?thanks

* Perhaps compress (file size, not dimensions) that image at the top-right-hand corner. It took about two minutes to load onto my machine.* Try to make all the boxes the same width.* A graphical banner would be nice.* I can't read the labels of the form down the bottom - make the text a different colour.* Image borders would be good.* Usability issue - I have no idea what the site is about, and there is no place for me to do so. All I can figure is that I can ... give money ... to a mysterious enterprise ... via PayPal ... and I'll ... free my mind??? So - some clear explaination right up-front would be good.

seems everytime i try to put in javascript or anything fancy then my whole css gets $%& up. as long as it's simple it executes right. is this typical?
Depends on what sort of JavaScript you are thinking about.

thanks synook--have done a revise. float seems to be a pain--looks different on my machine than after uploading (maybe due to php script as i'm not configured with apache/php on my machine), so i'm revising by ftp back and forth :) also links are both not showing up navy, which is in the css. that cnet link really wants to stay that color. the site is beta stage so i'm working on defining benefit of depositing money in paypal; but the free your mind aspect is pretty accurate so far. any other suggestions greatly welcome. i'd like to have an animated troll that visitors could have do things--how to do that?

I still don't quite get it. What exactly is the Release Center? Remember that is the first question that people will ask when they come to your site.

i'd like to have an animated troll that visitors could have do things--how to do that?
You could use Flash to do that - depends on what "things" you want it to do though.
also links are both not showing up navy, which is in the css.
You have a:hover being blue in the CSS. Try making it
a {	color:blue;}

have been checking out animated gifs...they're pretty neat...easy to make? read somewhere javascript better than flash or are they two different things? open source software for making animated or realistic troll who can go around the web page looking at the user and opening links or perhaps doorways into pages? thanks i need to begin somewhere.

have been checking out animated gifs...they're pretty neat...easy to make?
Well... depends on the complexity, and also how good a graphic designer you are.
read somewhere javascript better than flash or are they two different things?
They are two different things. JavaScript is a client-side scripting language for providing dynamic functionality to pages, while Flash is a graphic platform for delivering rich multimedia based content.
open source software for making animated or realistic troll who can go around the web page looking at the user and opening links or perhaps doorways into pages?
Don't know about software packages, I suppose you could use the GIMP to create animated GIFs of the troll doing things, but you would need to learn JavaScript to make the troll actually do things. I wan you though it is not going to be easy and the time spent that you could have been doing something else may outweigh the benefit the troll brings to your website.

the time spent that you could have been doing something else may outweigh the benefit the troll brings to your website.
fair enough...have got some gifs now. read js tutorial, now to convert that to a troll doing something is beyond me. long range goal i guess. thanks for your help!

Your GIFs don't look like trolls... you'll probably have to create them yourself as I doubt anyone has made animations of trolls opening doors exactly as you want.

Archived