check for empty xml tags

zaheer

if for example i have the tags:<name>zaheer</name><name></name>and i want the condition if there is info within the tags do this:document.write(x.getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue);else if there's nothing print "nothing", or move onto the next test.how do u do this in javascript. thanx in advance.

I think with the default a.k.a. "or" operator - "||" like so:

document.write(x[i].getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue || 'nothing');

or maybe with the ternary operator (if ? then : else) like:

document.write(x[i].getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue == null ? x[i].getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue : 'nothing');

I think with the default a.k.a. "or" operator - "||" like so:
document.write(x[i].getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue || 'nothing');

or maybe with the ternary operator (if ? then : else) like:

document.write(x[i].getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue == null ? x[i].getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue : 'nothing');

I have the same problem, solution above does not seem to work for me.

this worked for me (remember that there are many ways to do this, this is just one of them). I used XML Data Islands for convenience only. I would never do this in a production system

<html>	<head>		<xml id="oXML">			<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>			<names>				<name>zaheer</name>				<name></name>			</names>		</xml>		<script type="text/javascript">			var xmlDoc;	    	function loadXML()    		{			   var xmlDoc   =     new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0")			   xmlDoc.async=false;			   xmlDoc.loadXML(oXML.xml);    			var xmlNames = xmlDoc.selectNodes("//name");				for (var l=0;l<xmlNames.length;l++)				{					Item = xmlNames.item(l);					document.write( (Item.text.length != 0) ? Item.text : "Nothing")					document.write("<br/>")				}			}		</script>	</head>	<body onload="loadXML()"></body></html>

Just an aside, if you were rendering using XSLT, you could use

<xsl:for-each select="//name">  <xsl:choose>	<xsl:when test="string(text())">	  <xsl:value-of select="."/>	</xsl:when>	<xsl:otherwise>		<xsl:text>Nothing</xsl:text>	</xsl:otherwise>  </xsl:choose></xsl:for-each>

what if the xml file looked like this:<item><name></name><address>anwhere</address><tel>somenumber</tel></item><item><name>bob</name><address>someplase</address><tel>number</tel></item>i want the condition if there is info within the tags do this:document.write(x.getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue);else if there's nothing within this tag, move into checking the next element (address), and then eventually moving onto the next item to check for empty tags in each element.

what if the xml file looked like this:<item><name></name><address>anwhere</address><tel>somenumber</tel></item><item><name>bob</name><address>someplase</address><tel>number</tel></item>i want the condition if there is info within the tags do this:document.write(x.getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue);else if there's nothing within this tag, move into checking the next element (address), and then eventually moving onto the next item to check for empty tags in each element.
Maybe something like
var writeThis = x[i].getElementsByTagName("name")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue;if(writeThis != null) {document.write(writeThis);}

Archived