Best Way to Transform (quickest)

kvnmck18

There are so many ways to transform XML... this question goes to boen -What's your suggestion for transforming this xml:

<XML>		  <nodes att="Class1">					<node1>Info here</node1>					<node2>Info here</node2>					<node3>Info here</node3>		  </nodes>		  <nodes att="Class2">					<node1>Info here</node1>					<node2>Info here</node2>					<node3>Info here</node3>		  </nodes></XML>

into this:

<XML> <node class="Class1" node1="Info here" node2="Info here" node3="Info here"/> <node class="Class2" node1="Info here" node2="Info here" node3="Info here"/> </XML>

and saving it out w+ (php 5)...You always have some easy trick.

There's ICQ and PMs you know. At least when I'm around that is. You're among the few people from which I don't mind being personally bothered with XSLT issues :) .Anyway... transformToURI() is just perfect for the job. It's the most efficient, and easiest way to execute a transformation and save its result to a file. The PHP below also includes the XSLT I'd use, and saves the result as "result.xml" in the same folder:

<?php$xslt = new XSLTProcessor;$xslt->importStylesheet(@DOMDocument::loadXML('<?xml version="1.0"?><xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:output indent="no"/><xsl:template match="/*">	<xsl:copy>		<xsl:apply-templates/>	</xsl:copy></xsl:template><xsl:template match="/*/*">	<node class="{@att}">		<xsl:for-each select="*">			<xsl:attribute name="{local-name(.)}" namespace="{namespace-uri(.)}"><xsl:apply-templates/></xsl:attribute>		</xsl:for-each>	</node></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>'));$xslt->transformToURI(@DOMDocument::loadXML('<XML>		  <nodes att="Class1">					<node1>Info here</node1>					<node2>Info here</node2>					<node3>Info here</node3>		  </nodes>		  <nodes att="Class2">					<node1>Info here</node1>					<node2>Info here</node2>					<node3>Info here</node3>		  </nodes></XML>'), 'result.xml');?>

(if you store the XML and XSLT in files, you'll see those are actually only three lines of PHP code)As a side note, if you're working with really large XMLs, you might consider using the XMLReader class in combination with a simpler XSLT, or an XMLReader/XMLWriter duo, but that's hard to maintain (change), so again - only if you're working with very large (think 50MB+) XMLs. Otherwise, the performance benefit is just not worth the maintainance trouble.

That's pretty much what I was using but not using the "transformToURI"It was just a XSL parse with the xml and save out.That's a nice function though cuts some lines out.

Archived