33 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best browser?

• FireFox
    • Opera
    • Netscape
    • Internet Explorer
    • Safari
    • Other
  2. 2. Which do you use? (Pick as many as you ever use.)

• FireFox
    • Opera
    • Netscape
    • Internet Explorer
    • Safari
    • Other
  3. 3. Lastly, which do you have on your system? (Pick all that you have!)

• FireFox
    • Opera
    • Netscape
    • Internet Explorer
    • Safari
    • Other

By the way Netscape 9 (the latest) is also just a rebranding of FireFox.

Opera is the only one I have that passes the Acid2 test, but it runs extremely slow on my computer. I use Firefox and it works ok. I only use Internet Explorer 7 for web developing.Between those three browsers Firefox is the one that works best for me.

Opera is the only one I have that passes the Acid2 test, but it runs extremely slow on my computer. I use Firefox and it works ok. I only use Internet Explorer 7 for web developing.Between those three browsers Firefox is the one that works best for me.
Strange. Opera running slow... for me, its the browser that runs best. Well, Kestrel (9.5) at least. I can't say the same for Merlin (9.2).On my PC I have IE8b1, FF2, Opera 9.5, Safari 3.1, all on Windows XPSP2.

I voted for firefox based on the perspective of a programmer, but from a visual perspective, I can see why people would like IE. The fonts for me always look better in IE. Is there any reason for this? or can I improve Firefox's fonts somehow? maybe a plugin or something?

The fonts for me always look better in IE. Is there any reason for this? or can I improve Firefox's fonts somehow? maybe a plugin or something?
IE (7 and above) (and Safari) use something called "subpixel smoothing" (IE calls it "ClearType") to, well, make the text look smoother.There is no option for this in Firefox. Maybe a plugin would be possible but without native support, rendering would be slowed massively.

• 2 weeks later...

Firefox is the best (one thing that it costs too much RAM to number of tabs)but I like Opera because it allow us to edit view source online and ... speech functionand IE is the strict browser in coding work and the hateful thing is that many people still use it so if you are making a website, first let in run well with IE :)

I'm a Mac person and there are 2 simple reasons I don't vote for Safari. One, I started using Firefox when, for a while, it had some features that Safari lacked. Two, unlike Firefox, Safari's bigger upgrades typically require a system upgrade. That works at home, but at work there's no money for an upgrade. (Yeah, I could buy it myself, but . . .) But I'll say this. Screen rendering on FF on a PPC Mac is SLOW. I haven't tried the most recent beta of FF 3, but the first one was also SLOW. Faster on an Intel Mac, but the user base is split. The 400MHz iMac was very popular with Joe Blow.

Firefox is the best (one thing that it costs too much RAM to number of tabs)but I like Opera because it allow us to edit view source online and ... speech functionand IE is the strict browser in coding work and the hateful thing is that many people still use it so if you are making a website, first let in run well with IE :)
That's not correct. If you make a website to run well in Internet Explorer it's not going to work in all the rest of the browsers.You first code a website for standard browsers, like Firefox and Opera, and then add tweaks to make it work in Internet Explorer.

That's not correct. If you make a website to run well in Internet Explorer it's not going to work in all the rest of the browsers.You first code a website for standard browsers, like Firefox and Opera, and then add tweaks to make it work in Internet Explorer.
At least with my recent site, I think that true.First make it with Opera, it runs well in Firefox but collapse in IEMake in the reversed way, it all right :) If I am not wrong, IE7 doesn't allow putting <head> tag in <body> tag while FF and Opera allow itIf FF and Opera allow background: #fff url(...) no-repeat; then save as the page opened in IE, that shorthand is broken, with image, it use background: url(...), I must replace background-image: url(...) for best offline viewing and editing...

At least with my recent site, I think that true.First make it with Opera, it runs well in Firefox but collapse in IEMake in the reversed way, it all right
Umm that may be so in some cases, but the problem is that IE renders things not in accordance with the standard recommendations. IE is "weird" in that way, and designing for it is designing your pages to be "weird" too :)You should always design for the non-IE browsers, then modify it until it works in IE. That process you will usually find much easier.Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_box_model_bug
If I am not wrong, IE7 doesn't allow putting <head> tag in <body> tag while FF and Opera allow it
Neither of them accept it, but the DOM browsers are more flexible than IE, which just gets confused.
If FF and Opera allow background: #fff url(...) no-repeat; then save as the page opened in IE, that shorthand is broken, with image, it use background: url(...), I must replace background-image: url(...) for best offline viewing and editing...
The shorthand is actually valid (try running it through the CSS validator), and as far as I have experienced IE has supported it fully as well.

That all my recent job showed me :) The shorthand works certainly but save as to check it offline with IE6 (I am using) is not so goodAbout the <head> tag, that all I recognize when do some code tricks with Yahoo Blog bug :mellow:

Umm that may be so in some cases, but the problem is that IE renders things not in accordance with the standard recommendations. IE is "weird" in that way, and designing for it is designing your pages to be "weird" too smile.gifYou should always design for the non-IE browsers, then modify it until it works in IE. That process you will usually find much easier.Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_box_model_bug
Maybe you are right !!! I always follow that order in 99% cases :)

Archived