almost complete and looking for constructive criticism please

bonnit

hi, below are details of my site that i have just finished, ive still got to add a shop etc but the main bulk of the site is there. its is a mixture of php and html, mostly mine but also some gnu codes (licenses are intact before im flamed!!)http://www.lighterdawn.co.uk designed by me mostly and using some gnu php codes :)just wondering if you could please offer some constructive critism, some of the site is held behind a registration page and inside a php members area but the only details taken are what you enter and the password is displayed right after registration so theres no confimation process its just meant for demographoc research - if you could register (even if the details are phoney) to critique whats inside the members area too i would really appreciate it, if im not allowed to ask you to do that i could post the password as anyone looking, i presume, would not be prospective customers anyway so details would be useless, i would just prefer the whole process to be looked at start to finsih.any way sorry about the essay and i look forward to reading your comments, thanks guys :)

Pretty simple design. That's a bit too plain, but not bad for my kind of taste.What exactly is this site about? Whatever your answer is, put at the very top of the home page, ideally emphasizing it somehow (italics, bolds, another color, another font, etc.). As you say for yourself on the home page "In this 21st century, lives are led in the fast lane". If your mission is to change that, you must first embrace it, and only then give the boring speeches.I don't understand why are client testimonials a member only area. If you're offering a service, it's in your best interest that anyone reads reccomendations from happy customers. The testimonials' job is to make people register, not an archive for registered members to look at.Your top menu is however the most problematic area.What have I seen already? First off, where am I? What have I not seen yet? Those are the three questions of time (past, present and future) any navigation should answer by giving menu items different colors and backgrounds.In addition, you have submenus on some menus, but not on all. It will be nice if there's also some indication as to whether there is, or there isn't a submenu for a certain menu item.You have many problems with the menu items having submenu, mostly the "Hypnosis" menu. Different browsers have different problems with it, but all have. IE7 shows the text behind instead of showing "Definition of hypnosis", Safari3/Win shows the submenu too low and Opera fails to show the submenu altogether.

thankyou very much for your prompt reply, the site is a hypnotherapy site as im sure you gathered, its aim is not to sell really but more to rid the stigma of hypnotists and present the business as a valid and moderated industry much like acupuncture etc. i have tried to keep most of the information on the site theoretic (if thats even a word???) rather than presenting it as hard sell fact or anything along those lines. the menus ive struggled with for a long time, i actally did them in foreworks and i guess its kind of dumb for me not to indicate on the menus ate least where people are at that particular time, i just figured the cleaner it is the better it will appear so i will definately address that.tesimonials - what a dimwit i am??!?! your one million percent correct, makes no sense at all to be protecting the selling points lol under a passalso i se what you mean about the submenu bit, i think its because of the menu showing up behind the divs instead of above...im not quite sure what i can do with that, id be interested if anyone has a sluton taht might save me having to redo the lot of the menus?im using fireworks and dreamweaver cs3 incase that affects anythinggreat advice so far thanks!!!let me apologise for my spelling in advance.....im a lazy typer ill try to do better in future

• 3 weeks later...
thankyou very much for your prompt reply, the site is a hypnotherapy site as im sure you gathered, its aim is not to sell really but more to rid the stigma of hypnotists and present the business as a valid and moderated industry much like acupuncture etc.
I know this is an old post - but I thought I'd check some of the sites up for critique. The first thing that springs to mind when you state that this is intended to get rid of stigma, is perhaps to avoid the use of the colour black. If you take a look at a nice corporate site, there are design cues in those types of site that will help you in choosing colour combinations that encourage feelings of trust and consumer confidence. The design is nice in itself, but perhaps not to achieve what you want specifically.

It is nice and clean which is a plus in my book. The menus (header and footer) don't stand out and blend into the content. The footer looks a bit crowed and the image on the homepage needs more spacing around it so it doesn't look cramped.With the current color scheme I would not be able to read very much content on your site, let alone a full page, with out my eyes hurting but that's just me.Overall it is a good job.

Archived