How owns this site?

espen24

The site admins are the owners of the forum... but they don't get here as often as most member would like.It's like this forum is a children's playground with no parents around. The fact there are no parents doesn't mean they're dead. It just means they have work to do, or at least, so they say.

Well, "you" can refer to anybody. This is the official W3Schools forum. Web developers come all over to ask and answer questions.
Really? Oh ok, I was kinda hoping to chat with"real" people. I mean persons with more connection with the real owners, if you know what a mean? I registered for the exams and contacted a supervisor to be there when i take the exams. I have a couple of questions regarding the exams. See, for me its important and i dont like that some people here on this forum are saying that these exams are useless. What`s the point really? This forum is suppose to be w3schools forum and youre taking away the credibility of the exams they are offering?

19 views no replies? Oh well seems to me this forum is of no use. Ill contact the owner of the site.
What kind of trolling nonsense is this? You expect a reply in one hour on a service you don't even pay for? Apart from everything else, this site is international. I'm not even sure when the moderators are awake, much less when they take a look at stuff. If you're looking to buy ad space or something, I'm sure there are more polite, professional ways to go about it.

Oh, the exams. Don't know much about that. Seems to me anyone with concerns about a purchase would get the facts before making a payment.As to the forum, well, it wouldn't be much of a forum if the mods jumped on every little thing. Then again, this is easily the most polite, friendly, and business-like forum I've been associated with in 16 years on the 'Net. 500+ posts, and I have no complaints.

What kind of trolling nonsense is this? You expect a reply in one hour on a service you don't even pay for? Apart from everything else, this site is international. I'm not even sure when the moderators are awake, much less when they take a look at stuff. If you're looking to buy ad space or something, I'm sure there are more polite, professional ways to go about it.
I didnt mean to be an ######. Im not even asking for your support , what i want to is to talk to people who are dealing with the exams part. Thats why I asked. who the owner of this forum was. So if you dont have better things to say dont bother replying.I was hoping for a better support I did pay for the service after all, no? This forum is shocking to be honest. Im glad some of you find this forum to be a nice place to share your wisdom. But Im looking for support for a service I paid for. You understand that, right?Maybe you should add a sub forum for people that need answers regarding the exam. Im sure it will be more helpful than replying with some stupid comments.Im sorry if I caused problems.

The site admins are the owners of the forum... but they don't get here as often as most member would like.It's like this forum is a children's playground with no parents around. The fact there are no parents doesn't mean they're dead. It just means they have work to do, or at least, so they say.
LOL that`s hilarous mate. At least some of you are having funWell, I need to go, I didnt mean to be an ######.thanks for your help.have a nice day :)

Thanks for your answer mate. But no subforum for the exams ? :)
Give the moderators a chance to think about it, communicate with each other, and make a response. Maybe it's a useful suggestion, maybe not. Since I joined in January, I've noticed very few references to the exams (under 10, maybe under 5), so it may well be no one has perceived a need for another forum. Maybe "suggestions" is already the best place. And maybe if you are patient you'll get your response. But coming in all angry and saying the forum is of "no use" just strikes me as a poor way to start a conversation. Using your first post to identify your problem, in neutral language, would have worked much better.

The w3schools site is operated by a family business in Norway. The owners of the site come to this forum only rarely, and typically do not post. This is not a support forum for the w3schools site, this is a general web development forum where volunteers help people who have questions related to web development, we don't get paid by the operators of w3schools or anyone else to do this. We have no information or training concerning the exams other then what you find on the w3schools site. The w3schools site contains a contact page with the email addresses of the people who operate the site. If you want to try and contact them through the forum, this is one of the admins:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showuser=2

Everything you need should be right here:http://www.w3schools.com/cert/cert_html.asp

The HTML ExamThe HTML exam will be taken over the Internet, at any time and from any location, but the exam should be supervised by a person selected by the exam candidate.The exam consists of 70 multiple choice or true/false questions. The exam is time-limited to 70 minutes.Candidates must have 75% correct answers to pass the exam and become certified. Candidates who have more than 95% correct answers will get an Excellency Degree notation added to their certificate.Excellency Degree certificate example.Immediately after completing the exam, you will be informed of your score and of your pass/fail status. If you achieve certification status, W3Schools will ship you an HTML Developer Certificate. The document will contain your personal data acknowledging your status as a Certified HTML Developer.If you have any questions regarding the exam, do not hesitate to send an email to:mail_w3schools.gif
I recommend you try the email there.

The w3schools site is operated by a family business in Norway. The owners of the site come to this forum only rarely, and typically do not post. This is not a support forum for the w3schools site, this is a general web development forum where volunteers help people who have questions related to web development, we don't get paid by the operators of w3schools or anyone else to do this. We have no information or training concerning the exams other then what you find on the w3schools site. The w3schools site contains a contact page with the email addresses of the people who operate the site. If you want to try and contact them through the forum, this is one of the admins:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showuser=2
thank you very much, mate. I appreciate that. Thanks fr telling me that, I didnt know this forum was for a general web development and not for support concerning the exams.I apologize.

19 views no replies? Oh well seems to me this forum is of no use. Ill contact the owner of the site.
Well, realize that those 19 views are not unique. Each time you, or anyone else, update the page, that's a view I think. This topic for instance now has about 120 views. That does not equal 120 posters having looked at the topic. As for whose fault this is, it's not w3schools, but Invision who developed the forum software IPB
Or like a kindergarten with entrusted grownups to watch over things and raise you while the parents are busy with work. But we rely on the trust of the parents. :)

Well, realize that those 19 views are not unique. Each time you, or anyone else, update the page, that's a view I think. This topic for instance now has about 120 views. That does not equal 120 posters having looked at the topic. As for whose fault this is, it's not w3schools, but Invision who developed the forum software IPBOr like a kindergarten with entrusted grownups to watch over things and raise you while the parents are busy with work. But we rely on the trust of the parents. :mellow:
Oh, but youre having a good time I can tell. :) Oh a 19 view is more likely 19 unique ips excluding my views that counted 4 at a that period of time i wrote my second post. I dont think a person will take a look twice at a thread for nothing, So at least 14 unique views is more accurate. but thats another story :) so youre from haugesund? webdesigner?

Oh, but youre having a good time I can tell. :) Oh a 19 view is more likely 19 unique ips excluding my views that counted 4 at a that period of time i wrote my second post. I dont think a person will take a look twice at a thread for nothing, So at least 14 unique views is more accurate. but thats another story :) so youre from haugesund? webdesigner?
Yes, and no. Student, actually. I just like playing around with webdesign, especially all the stuff you can do with CSS.

Really? Oh ok, I was kinda hoping to chat with"real" people. I mean persons with more connection with the real owners, if you know what a mean? I registered for the exams and contacted a supervisor to be there when i take the exams. I have a couple of questions regarding the exams. See, for me its important and i dont like that some people here on this forum are saying that these exams are useless. What`s the point really? This forum is suppose to be w3schools forum and youre taking away the credibility of the exams they are offering?
Nobody is trying to discredit W3S. They have done a good job putting together the tutorials and that is appreciated by everyone here. However, when it comes to being actively involved in the community they have created, sadly, they just don't.As for the worth of the exams. Ask yourself if you were an employer what would you value more, a university degree in CS or a certificate from a website you'd probably never heard of that says someone can code HTML? A portfolio of the work you've, IMO, is much more valuable than these exams. In a lot of cases a good portfolio that displays your knowledge and competense can even nullify the need for the degree or at least out weighs it.So again we're not out to bash W3S or the exams, it is just some advice on the current state of the industry. Hope that helps.Look at it another way. If we were talking about surgeons, would you trust a doctor who passed some exams on a medical information website or would expect a university education?

Nobody is trying to discredit W3S. They have done a good job putting together the tutorials and that is appreciated by everyone here. However, when it comes to being actively involved in the community they have created, sadly, they just don't.As for the worth of the exams. Ask yourself if you were an employer what would you value more, a university degree in CS or a certificate from a website you'd probably never heard of that says someone can code HTML? A portfolio of the work you've, IMO, is much more valuable than these exams. In a lot of cases a good portfolio that displays your knowledge and competense can even nullify the need for the degree or at least out weighs it.So again we're not out to bash W3S or the exams, it is just some advice on the current state of the industry. Hope that helps.Look at it another way. If we were talking about surgeons, would you trust a doctor who passed some exams on a medical information website or would expect a university education?
No mate, I don`t agree what you`re trying to say. I think that a portfolio plus a exam is much better than just having a portofolio. Probably why i hired a supervisor to do the job and It will make me proud to have a certificate. I have a diploma from a design class I attended back in 2001. And yeah I pretty much agree with that a university degree is much better, but having a portfolio is not better than having a portofolio + a diploma. You all should know that. So yeah, you`re taking away the credibility from W3schools.Again Im sorry If I offended you, but that`s my opinion.

Everything is just one more tool to help get a job. It doesn't hurt to have any one of them, it doesn't matter if it's w3schools or not. If there are two candidates for a job and both of them have a portfolio but one of them has something else, that one will probably get the job. If one candidate has a portfolio and a bunch of certficates, and the other person has a degree in engineering and not much else, I know that a lot of companies are going to hire the engineer instead of the certificate holder, regardless of a portfolio. Most good jobs require at least a bachelor's degree plus several years of experience in your field of study. Having a degree means that you dedicated some serious time towards pursuing a certain career, having a certificate means you took a week to review some information and take a test. Look at what Google looks for in a software engineer:http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/top...amp;loc_id=1116It doesn't matter how many certificates or portfolios you have, or from where, if you don't have a degree you're not getting that job.That being said, yeah, things like certificates (regardless of where they come from) will help you get the edge over another applicant who doesn't have that. This doesn't have anything to do with crediting or discrediting w3schools, it's about certificates in general.

Justsomeguy, i pretty much agree with what youre saying. That`s something that is very obvious, dont you think?Having a portfolio will give you the advantage over a person with no portfolio, a person with a certficate+ a portfolio will have the advante over a person with a portfolio with no certificate. A person with a "real" degree will have the advantage anyday , anytime.I encourage people to take this certificate. It will help you no matter what.

That`s something that is very obvious, dont you think?
I would hope so. A certificate wouldn't help me though. If I was trying to get a job as a web developer and someone didn't think I could do it I would just tell them to give me an image and I'll turn it into a strict validating web page. If you can't do that it doesn't matter how many certificates you have, if you can do that then you don't need a certificate.Regardless, I don't know of any companies that are paying people to write HTML or CSS these days. The focus is more on Javascript and PHP now, anyone can open Word or Dreamweaver and generate a (bad) web page, they don't pay other people to do that. If all you're looking for is freelancing then yeah, you can get some of those clients, but with those people experience and examples of previous work are more important then anything else. If you don't have examples to show, then a certificate might help you get a client even without examples.

My opinion on certificates is they are probably a good way to judge yourself as a programmer. I've thought about taking the zend php certification test just so I could know what level I was at in php. When I was looking for a job this year, one place I applied to had me take a test that compared me to other programmers that had taken the test. In doing so I found out about how well I compared to others and found out what areas I had to work on. So these kinds of tests can be helpful for your own confidence, but they probably will mean more to you than to someone looking to hire you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived