Clienscripted CMS

yoshida

Hi, I want to build a CMS with XML as the database and ECMAscript (JS) as script language. In fact, what I want is use XSL and make an 'interactive layer' provided by Javascript.It doesn't seem to make sense, but please bare with me. I want to build a userfriendly intranet application without using a database such as MySQL or Oracle. We're talking 500 records max so an XML file will do just fine. It will be a listing of records, with one fixed background for each record and a style language to get all records in their required position. It will only have to work for IE but an easy milti-browser solution would be appreciated. In the most ideal case I can edit an entry when I click it, and batch-export all records to PDF.What kind of basic knowledge do I need? I can work with XML and understand the basic concepts of JS. I'd be most interested in understanding how I manipulate a XML file using JS, in such a way that the whole deal looks dynamic (no reloading and such). Would this mean I'd have to make each entry a block element with it's own autogenerated ID?Thanks in advance, have a good weekend.

Javascript can't write in XML files.So you can't do anything clientside. A CMS has to be done with a server-side language.

Thought of using AJAX? That will give the application a "smooth" feel...

Javascript can't write in XML files.So you can't do anything clientside. A CMS has to be done with a server-side language.
I don't believe that. Doesn't XML have it's own DOM? From the W3Schools tutorial:
The XML DOM is a standard for how to get, change, add, or delete XML elements.
Thought of using AJAX? That will give the application a "smooth" feel...
Definitely. But that would imply dynamic communication between the browser and a server script and database. Any browsersided interface improvement is considered AJAX these days... such a shame.

You can load information from an XML document, and modify the nodes right where you are with Javascript, but you can't save it back into the file, that's the way Javascript works with XML DOM.

You can load information from an XML document, and modify the nodes right where you are with Javascript, but you can't save it back into the file, that's the way Javascript works with XML DOM.
Haha that sucksMust be for security reasons. How about PHP?

PHP is fine. PHP 5 has the excellent DOMDocument object, which is easy to use and fairly complete. The XML situation with PHP 4 isn't so good, but almost everyone has upgraded or gives the option to upgrade now.

PHP is fine. PHP 5 has the excellent DOMDocument object, which is easy to use and fairly complete. The XML situation with PHP 4 isn't so good, but almost everyone has upgraded or gives the option to upgrade now.
hmm... intended to store it as a set of files on the fileserver, but now it appears like I need to promote my machine to webserver and host it from there.The net - it's an option, but password protection will not enhance accesibility.The intranet - perhaps. Need to confirm it with IT and that involves the 'ok' from a bunch of other guys before I can even make a proof of concept.Still going with XML due to portability.

Archived