"service context" data in the SOAP header

Stadiumite

For some time now, I've been working with a large set of XML request and response messages that are delivered by MQ. We've gradually started to migrate some of these existing messages to web services, and some new projects are introducing web services.Our MQ messages had a set of data within the payload that we called "the payload header". This included a transacationId, an identifier for the requesting application, an identifier for the responding application, and an identifier for the environment (test, prod etc.) in which the service exists. The question has come up as to whether or not we should continue to keep this "payload header" information inside the body, or if we should move it into the SOAP header.There is an assumption that I've been making that I'm beginning to believe is false. I felt that somewhere within a standard or recommendation from w3c or oasis there would be header elements already defined that I could map my payload header elements to. Then we'd be in compliance to an industry standard, and get all the benefits that go along with that. But as I look around, I'm not finding the elements that I expected in things like WS-SEC, the addressing standard etc. Googling around, I see lots of examples on various forums where they seem to have extended the soap header with a proprietary schema to contain the sort of information I'm talking about. Am I just looking in the wrong place? Forgive me, this is a new area for me. We could easily move our existing payload header out of the body and into the SOAP header. But I would have thought there was a standard that I could follow instead.

Archived