My turn (GNU/Liux distro site)

wolven

Guess it's my turn to get some feedback on one of my designs. It's the website for my main hobby project. I've been working on the site for some time now and I'm pretty pleased with the results, but as with most things, when you work on something for a while you stare yourself blind, so I'd like some fresh feedback.NOTE: I know there are some issues viewing the site with IE7, so to see the site as I've intended it too look, use Firefox. That said, I'm of course happy to get comments on how to improve it for other browsers.Here's the URL: http://wolvix.org/Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Holy ####! This is one of the best sites I have ever seen. The design is very nice and the layout is spectacular. 10/10!

You should have used some darker colors. The color pallet you used for the distribution is PERFECT, but the web site gives me a DEVIANTART feel.Also, the navigation is a little bit basic, but efficient.Good look!

Thanks for the comments everyone.@keturahuriel:The site is hosted on my private 2Mbit connection, so It might be a bit slow, though it loads quickly from other broadband connections I've tested.It's a bit image heavy, so I guess it could have long load time on slow connections. What kind of connection are you on?@23.12.2012:The color palette is taken from the Tango Desktop Project. The resemblance to deviantArt is not intentional, but I see what you mean when I look at their website. The colors used in the distro are also from the Tango palette, except the blue background color used in Xfce. The black color you see used as background for Fluxbox is the same as the color used in the header and footer. (#2e3436)Why do you feel the colors should be darker, because it looks like deviantART, or is there another reason? The navigation is as complex as my CSS skills allows it to be right now, I don't know any java scripting yet. Do you feel it's too basic? If so, is the the look of it or the functionality?

I'm sure it's because he doesn't want anyone to think you were too heavily inspired by deviantart. I don't think it's too simple, simple and easy navigation earns you a gold star in my personal rule book anyway.

No, I simply think that the OS's tones are darker than the site's ones. When I first saw the website, it remembered me of DEVART, I'm not suggesting that you've copied them, or anything like that.Overall, it's cool, but I'd say the background should have the color of the OS's background (that dark Grey is so cool)

I agree with Nathan; it looks great. I also like the background color in the distro, but I think it might not leave enough contrast if you use it on your site.As for the menus, I highly recommend the horizontal version of DD's Blm Multi-level Effect menu to you. It's CSS-based, although some JS is required nonetheless - I think mostly for the special effects. But I never had to fiddle with the JS to get it working; all the style (borders, positioning, color...) is in the highly configurable CSS. The basic (vertical) menu even works with JS turned off, except for a very minor z-index issue that could be avoided by positioning the submenu differently and might not even show in the horizontal version.

Archived