Marquee replacement

elementalgrace

HiJust wondered what the options were for replacing the marquee tag since it's been deprecated. I know there is a javascript solution but I wondered if there was a javascript free solution as it needs to be as accessible as possible and to work with JS turned off. :) Thanks

marquee was never supported. its an explorer only tag.And scrolling text is usually very 90's :) :)If you want scrolling text, then either javascript or flash is probably your answer.:)
Look, normally I'd not touch marquee tags or anything like them with a barge pole. I have the same views on the dratted things but the developer I am working with is insisting on using them because his client insists that they want it (lots of information to impart but no space as they won't allow the page to scroll vertically(!) which leaves us very restricted in terms of alternatives. I was hoping there would be an alternative involving simple markup as neither javascript or flash is accessible and won't pass our accessibility audit but if it's not to be then it's not. Thanks for your help.

There's definitely no markup for it, since it's actually something dynamic that would require a programming language.Javascript is pretty accessible in my opinion. I once made a <marquee> alternative with Javascript that would show a box with a scrollbar if Javascript wasn't available.

There's definitely no markup for it, since it's actually something dynamic that would require a programming language.Javascript is pretty accessible in my opinion. I once made a <marquee> alternative with Javascript that would show a box with a scrollbar if Javascript wasn't available.
Yeah, that's pretty much the basis of the problem. The accessibility guys want it to work the same (as much as possible) with the JS turned off. I don't really know anyone that turns it off these days but since the site needs to pass ... *shrug*Hmm, if it appeared with a scrollbar when JS was turned off, that might actually work. There's a huge amount of text to be fed through this "marquee" area with very little page space hence the reason it needs to scroll in some way. That sounds like quite a viable alternative though. Thanks.

Marquee is a kind of animation, and there's no way to make animations without JavaScript or Flash. In these cases, you need to instead degrade gracefully, and as said already, a scrollable div is the best alternative.If you're wondering, I sometimes turn off JavaScript myself for performance's sake. I mean I just hate hanging pages, and this is exactly what happens when you place JavaScript at the head instead of before the closing body tag.

Archived