Weekend Project

Skemcin

Yep, that says it all.I'm taking my (very) old Sony VAIO PCG-FX310 laptop and wiping it clean. I'm gonna put on Ubuntu Server and ColdFusion8 - nothing else. That will get all my work stuff off my PC so I can finally upgrade it to XP - lol, yeah I know . . .Anyway, I'm very interested to see how CF looks and performs on Ubuntu . . .

Well, there was some success and lack of success.The plan was to basically get my old laptop into some functional role - it has sat dormant for almost a year, collecting dust. This was mainly due to it working progressively slower (Windows XP) and because the LCD screen died. I've hooked it up to a monitor switch so I can go back and forth, but the practicality of it being a laptop is far removed.So, in my excited mindset, I quickly found myself at ubuntu.com staring at the product page - client vs. server. Say that to yourself a dozen times and that might be one fifth of the time I spent staring at the screen, struggling to make a decision. Afterall, (I thought) what could I do with client software on a monitor I couldn't see. So, I downloaded the server software.The server software installation was brilliant. I wanted to wipe my drive clean and I was hoping to have that option. I was delighted, and the short of it is, the format and installation went over without a hitch. I got toe the happy message - "now that your installation is complete, we just need to reboot one more time".Yipee. I watch the computer recycle - all the little boot up scripts flying by . . . then a prompt for my username and password - [done] - hit enter and watch a few more scripts flush the screen . . . then . . . a prompt.A PROMPT! Where is my user interface like the . . . like the . . . the client. NO!! Am I that dumb - apparently. Then I go back to ubuntu.com and search feendishly for a screenshot of the server edition. I come up empty handed and then realize just how naive I (and people in general) can be. In all my excitement I failed to notice the obvious. After installing unbuntu client as an alternate OS at work, I thought for sure this was it.So, no I am faced with the decision - learn the command prompt interface or install the client. Being a spoiled american (of 100% dutch blood I must add) I will likely install the client (yes for the interface).As for the client - I love it. I have it installed here at work but I've yet to install anything else - namely ColdFusion - on it yet. Since ColdFusion does install with its own web server (optional) I figure it would be the perfect use of my laptop. I guess installing the ubuntu server was a little greedy on my part, but before I install the client, I might take a stab at installing coldfusion there to see if I can get it running.I might sound all over the place here, there is just so much to thin about, so much to do, and so little time to do it.:)

lolI tried to install Ubuntu on my 10 year old laptop before realizing it only had 192 MB of RAM; Ubuntu needed 256 MB. Ah well, long live Windows 98 :)

ha - well the server edition installed and ran well - I just have no idea how to use it. Didn't even think about memory for the client edition - greed is often blind I guess.:)I think I just need to figure out how to format the drive outside of anything else. Got any good idea on how to format a hard drive without using an OS installation process?

where could i get an ubuntu cd?, i wanna get it for my soon-to-be useless laptop, or anyone OS that doesnt take too much RAM, even XP is making it slow.

Archived