callto in <a href />

son

Does anyone know about callto attribute in hyperlink, which apparent automatically dials the specified telephone number? And if yes, what is the correct syntax. Tried the ones found on web, but browser won't have it, complaining that the protocol is not supported...Son

Guest FirefoxRocks

You need to have an appropriate VoIP client installed for the link to work. The most popular one is Skype, although I am unsure of mobile phone support.The syntax (please verify this before using :S):

<a href="callto:+18002684686">Call the Ministry of Transportation Ontario (Canada)</a>

You need to have an appropriate VoIP client installed for the link to work. The most popular one is Skype, although I am unsure of mobile phone support.The syntax (please verify this before using :S):
<a href="callto:+18002684686">Call the Ministry of Transportation Ontario (Canada)</a>

Tested it, but it brings up the error "callto is not a registered protocol"?Son

Guest FirefoxRocks

Try callto://+18002684686 instead of callto:+18004682686And you need to have Skype or something that supports callto: in order for this to work. Like the IRC protocol, you must have an IRC client.

Try callto://+18002684686 instead of callto:+18004682686And you need to have Skype or something that supports callto: in order for this to work. Like the IRC protocol, you must have an IRC client.
Did test it, but same error message comes up...Son

Guest FirefoxRocks

Are you sure that you have Skype installed and that callto protocol is associated with Skype (it should be in the options)?

Are you sure that you have Skype installed and that callto protocol is associated with Skype (it should be in the options)?
No, I do not have Skype installed on machine I am mainly working on. But even so, I would not like to have an error message coming up for user who do not have Skype installed...Son

• 7 months later...
Guest FirefoxRocks

Well if there is no program to handle callto: links, an error will show up. Same with those irc: links and some other messenger ones.

Archived