News/Community section

Eric

You could set up a new forums on this message board to show off pictures of people/pets/stuff.What do you think?That way this place seems more like a "community" and not just a place to ask/answer questions :)

It's actually been discussed, and is still being discussed. I'll just bookmark this thread, and get back to you if there is some progress worth mentioning. Don't expect it to happen soon though (the forum, not the progress).And, of course, kaijim has the final word either way.

After real_illusions post about Google banning BMW web sites, I starting wondering why these forums don't have any kind of news section. There are a lot of web developers/designers here, and it would be handy for us to have a place to read and discuss web happenings.It could also have a stickied post with links to sites like CNN.com, reuters, BBC tech news, etc, and RSS links as well.We could post and discuss things involving standards, web development, ISPs, and other technology news.What do you guys think?

Interesting. We are currently stuck in a discussion on whether or not we should have a community forum like Eric suggested here:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=2100

• One argument is that it's going to be a lot harder to moderate, and it would probably require a new mod or two to join the team.
  • We figure the people who come here today are mostly mature and sincere, but that may not always be so, and with a forum of that kind, may change faster than if we don't get the forum.
  • If we had a community forum (for chats and other off-topic discussions), we would want to make it so that post count doesn't increase in that forum, because primarily what this forum is about is webprogramming/giving or receiving help, and not having post counts increase might also discourage spam a bit.
  • There's also some adversity to sharing too much information about ourselves on the web, because there is a young crowd here.
  • If people want to show off their graphics and stuff, we would recommend to kaijim that uploading be turned off, so that this doesn't become a photobucket like site, with people using the site to host their images.
  • One suggestion/wish is that all posts in this forum would have to be approved, but that would really slow down a forum which should run smoothly to have any point. We would therefore also rely on member reports if they see something objectionable, because we can't really be everywhere, in every thread, whatever we may wish. But, I'm guessing if this forum is a thing the members really want, that shouldn't be a problem on your part, am I correct?

Any input is welcome, because quite frankly, we're stuck with a lot of if's here.[EDIT] Merged topic with Eric's to keep all discussion in one place.

Edited by Jonas

I think the news section idea is a good one, no so sure about the forum for showing off your work.I would volunteer to help out the mods in anyway I can if that would help get the news section going.I do not think a genreal 'off topic' discussion forum is needed or is even in the best interests of this site. I think it will turn into more of a chat site than anything useful.As far as having the posts approved before being displayed...please don't. I left forums.asp.net becuase they do that...it took hours to get/give answers to simple questions...doing that would hurt the site very much. The only exception, IMO, is you might do that on the news section...if people truely want to share some dev news (and not spam) they having to wait for a mod to approve a story is no big deal...but not the rest of the forums..please.

There's also some adversity to sharing too much information about ourselves on the web, because there is a young crowd here.
Jonas I do not understand this concern. Is is in regards to the 'showing off your work' idea or the news section??? Even if you are showing your work there is no need to share personal information about yourself. Perhaps I am not looking at it from your point of view???

That is our worry for an off-topic section. Although it might build a feeling of a community, it could also turn into a big problem. There has never been talk of all posts having to be approved, only if we were to have a news/community section, so no need to worry there. That would indeed be a pain for all of us. :)Concerning the quote you didn't understand, it is in regards to community forum/showing off your work. I can't elaborate too much, because it wasn't my argument, so there's no looking at it from my point of view, but I think it has to do with the community part, for example if people start posting pictures of how they look or something like that in chat threads, it would create an expectation and a pressure on the rest to do it as well, and not everyone are comfortable doing that. And that is of course understandable. :)And your willingness to help is much appreciated, and not at all unexpected. Thank you. :(

And your willingness to help is much appreciated, and not at all unexpected. Thank you.
Thanks...this is by far the best forum I have been in, not only the quality of the members but the atmosphere of this place...it is easy to give an opinion or solution without worry of being critised if I am wrong.The thing I think that would help the forum most of all the ideas is the news...thats just my opinion tho.

As it has been mentioned, there has been private moderator discussions on this matter. I do not have a problem sharing the points I made during that conversation:

...I dunno, maybe I am too old school - I just have a worry that it will turn into a huge hodge-podge of crap. Next thing you know we have our own myspace.com or xanga.com.But then again, as long as I have been coming to this site, I figured its target audience wasn't so young - or maybe that I wasn't that old. :) I'm not gonna want to police it - thats for sure.
and later
...Anyway, if we allowed this, I would ask for two things.a.) all images be hosted somewhere else - so we'd turn off our little image gallery feature - can't be held responsible hosting this range of workb.) all posts (in this section) would have to be approved
In any case, if there seems to be an overwhelming urge to have this section setup (aside from a hand full of members) then we can create a poll and see what happens. Either way, we would have to get in touch with kaijim and request that he consider adding it.But, those are my thoughts . . .

The thing I think that would help the forum most of all the ideas is the news...thats just my opinion tho.
Yeah, that's what I think too. A news section is also the option which would require the least work for us... :)

news section would be good in keeping upto date with the latest happenings in the internet world and where we can discuss those things.a community section as in general chat...hmm...dont think this forum needs one.(and i'd be willing to help too if you need it):)

I'd like to see new pulled into w3schools.com by way of RSS - similar to how I've done it here:http://www.iribbit.net/news.cfmMine are particular to Cold Fusion. I think w3schools.com (not the discussion board) could benefit from something similar to what I have but with more sources and categorized in the same manor the forum categories are.This would be very easy to program (as was my page) since all you do is write one page that reads (in my case rss v2.0) and each link simply dynamically changes the rss source reference.

I'd like to see new pulled into w3schools.com by way of RSS - similar to how I've done it here:http://www.iribbit.net/news.cfmMine are particular to Cold Fusion.  I think w3schools.com (not the discussion board) could benefit from something similar to what I have but with more sources and categorized in the same manor the forum categories are.This would be very easy to program (as was my page) since all you do is write one page that reads (in my case rss v2.0) and each link simply dynamically changes the rss source reference.

Of course...I think this would be the best way...it also eliminates spam being posted.

I would think then that the members would want a forum for discussion of these news, maybe even more than before if it was on w3schools.com as well...

If people want to show off their graphics and stuff, we would recommend to kaijim that uploading be turned off, so that this doesn't become a photobucket like site, with people using the site to host their images.
Well it can be turned off on a forum-by-forum basis. So that wouldn't be a problem to just turn it off for that one forum.

I think there is a bit of a community here, and I don't hate the idea of a general-chat/off topic chat section. I definatly like the news section, and I wouldn't mind seeing a show-off-your-graphics and show-off-your-web-site areas. I agree about images and post-attachments. There is an option in IPB forums that does this, if I remember correctly.As far as post-count worries, I'm not concerned. Anyone who is here for the post-count is just silly. The only thing I see in a post count is whether someone is new or has been around for awhile. I think this could be accomplished just as well by removing post-count displays altogether and only showing degrees like 'new member', 'member', 'advanced member' and of course 'mod' or 'admin'.My $0.02 for you all.