Id Like A Website Re-design Critique :)

elementis0

Hello everybody, I am making this thread because id like some critiques on my websites re-design before I launch it. I am a new and aspiring web designer/developer(mostly developer) who is looking to get into the website creation market.My current portfolio website looked tacky and I disliked it so a created a new layout with new contents.I am still currently writing up content for the homepage and about page and have not even start programming any of the functionality of the client center yet. (that part will take me a few months).Im pretty much done with the portfolio, contact, pricing and services page.This is not yet really a full fledged company, just one in the making. I am still working on finding a good designer, technical writer etc...but id like the people on these forums to critique everything about the website from the layout to the content. functionality cant really be critiqued yet since I have not started it yet.I also know the markup isnt validated yet, I can easily fix that and it is currently a small issue and low on my priority list. here's the URL to my redesignhttp://www.ocustruct.com/Id really love to hear what you guys have to say!EDIT: Okay all forms and functionality are done and I have every page validated. So now you guys can critique EVERY aspect of the website.

Hello everybody, I am making this thread because id like some critiques on my websites re-design before I launch it. I am a new and aspiring web designer/developer(mostly developer) who is looking to get into the website creation market.My current portfolio website looked tacky and I disliked it so a created a new layout with new contents.I am still currently writing up content for the homepage and about page and have not even start programming any of the functionality of the client center yet. (that part will take me a few months).Im pretty much done with the portfolio, contact, pricing and services page.This is not yet really a full fledged company, just one in the making. I am still working on finding a good designer, technical writer etc...but id like the people on these forums to critique everything about the website from the layout to the content. functionality cant really be critiqued yet since I have not started it yet.I also know the markup isnt validated yet, I can easily fix that and it is currently a small issue and low on my priority list. here's the URL to my redesignhttp://www.ocustruct.com/Id really love to hear what you guys have to say!EDIT: Okay all forms and functionality are done and I have every page validated. So now you guys can critique EVERY aspect of the website.
Overall, I like it. Some small things I'd change is:1) Unhovered color of menu is white and hovered is grey, I'd reverse that.2) "Home" is button shaped, but none of the rest of the menu. I'd either go one way or the other.3) The blue box around the menu starts in from the left margin, but extends beyond the content to the right.4) The menu at the bottom of the page doesn't follow the standard of the top of the page.5) I'd make the paragraph caps level with the top of the paragraph.6) You have a couple of <h2> tags, but no <h1>7) You use "align" which is deprecated I believe.

Thank you for the feedback Jerry!

1) Unhovered color of menu is white and hovered is grey, I'd reverse that.
I will check that a later, that seems like a nice suggestion.
2) "Home" is button shaped, but none of the rest of the menu. I'd either go one way or the other.
The button shape is actually just an indicator of what page you are on. For example if you clicked portfolio, the shape would go from highlighting the home link to the portfolio link.
5) I'd make the paragraph caps level with the top of the paragraph.
Im sorry but I think I may be reading this suggestion wrong, can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by this?
6) You have a couple of <h2> tags, but no <h1>
Yeah, theres a little semantics error I guess you could say, i'll change the styles to make my h2 mark-up turn to h1 instead.
You use "align" which is deprecated I believe.
I believe I only use the align attribute for the flash player. Although, since the code is validated I don't think that is anything to worry about.

The numbers before the paragraphs are centered on the top line. I think it would look nicer to have the top of the number line up with the top of the paragraph line.You don't want to change the <h2> to <h1>. You won't want them at all for the purpose of styling the text. They are for denoting sections of a page (h2..h6) and the page (h1) itself. SEO checks this stuff.

My firefox plug-in said that you made some mistakes.On the first hand, in http://www.ocustruct.com/css/style.css on the 153th line, you wrote "padding: 0 10px; 0 0;". You may want to write "padding: 0 10px 0 0;"...On the second hand, in http://www.statcounter.com/counter/counter_xhtml.js I don't know if you will be able to fix it easily but there are disclaimers about the sc_date, sc_time, sc_time_difference, sc_call variables which seem undeclared.I have nothing to add about the design... :)

Overall, I like it. Some small things I'd change is:1) Unhovered color of menu is white and hovered is grey, I'd reverse that.2) "Home" is button shaped, but none of the rest of the menu. I'd either go one way or the other.3) The blue box around the menu starts in from the left margin, but extends beyond the content to the right.4) The menu at the bottom of the page doesn't follow the standard of the top of the page.5) I'd make the paragraph caps level with the top of the paragraph.6) You have a couple of <h2> tags, but no <h1>7) You use "align" which is deprecated I believe.
Hi Jerry,<h1> is for SEO? can you explain further how the process done?Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jerry,<h1> is for SEO? can you explain further how the process done?Thanks.
I use 'h1' for my page name / site title. you need only one 'h1' but can have a bunch of 'h2', '3'...I'd adjust your code by adding
<h1>Your Company Name</h1>

in the masthead, before your navigation bars, then in your style give it a

display: none;

.Speaking of styles, why aren't you linking to an external stylesheet?

Hi elementis0Great site! Nice color coordination!I was confused about the yellow "button" around Home on the first page. I thought it was a button until you wrote that it was the page indicator. What about keeping the button shape, but replacing it with a darker blue. That way it will look like it is slightly indented and might be a better page indicator.Just a thoughtEnthusiastic Student

Archived