Basic Server Scripting

CarlGundel

I think it's worth mentioning Run BASIC here simply because the forum is so quiet. It isn't really a CGI programming system, but it is a version of BASIC especially for server side web programming. It is designed to be easy to learn (and fun) and I think it is an appropriate subject matter for an educational forum like this one.I would leave a link here but I'm under the impression that would be against the rules here. Just google it if you're curious. :-)Thanks,-Carl Gundelauthor of Run BASIC

Thanks for the Spam. :)
You're welcome.I guess you could call it spam, but considering there isn't really anything going on in this forum I figured the information might actually be helpful to someone. I mean, here's information about a new way to program a website in BASIC. So I would say it's almost not spam. :)If the moderator doesn't like the post then there's no harm removing it. -Carl

• 1 year later...

I wrote a lot of BASIC programs back in the 70s and early 80s. I hadn't heard of Run BASIC until you mentioned it, so I took a look.Syntactically, it looks like traditional BASIC, with just a few differences.Conceptually, there are many additions to facilitate web communication. BASIC has just a handful of built-in functions, and Run BASIC has a lot more, including support for file IO, SQL, and XML, and a nifty way of generating graphics. All this stuff operates at a very high level, so you don't have to understand what you're doing very much.If you already know BASIC and you want to build an app with a simple HTML interface, it looks like you could be up and running pretty quickly. I could be wrong, but it looks like it could be a pain to mix it with a long or sophisticated web page.

Thats very cool.This language brings me back to my old days, when I started building the game I am actually remaking in Java right now.. Which is a very long period if you consider what I've been doing in the mean while..Names like "BlackJac", "Onkey", "Drugwar" and "MIB" were very popular games in those days. Pity my lithium battery ran out, or I would be playing one of those right now...*Edit: and MIB was mine :)

Archived