Worth $349?

JonathanLee

Hello, I'm new to W3S. I'm 19, and I'm kind of tight on money.So, I'm looking into buying the Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Premium, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I only have about $1000 left. I can get the whole lot for $349 with the Higher Ed. discount. I added everything included up, and saw that all the products included add up to $3,250. I see I can get it all for almost 10% of the price, and I think it's worth it. Are there any reasons I shouldn't?Also, for $50 more, I can get Adobe InDesign. Is that worth it, either?Thanks a lot,Jonathan Lee

In my opinion, Photoshop is worth that alone...the latest PS CS version is usually well over £500 where I live, and you get it in that bundle (I think), all for less than $400! It seems a lot of money, but photoshop is one of those programs you will use time and again and that no other program really comes close to. InDesign is great for producing any sort of layout...it's extremely easy to use and ideal for planning layouts, making flyers or any sort of printed document combining text and images. I've not used many other Adobe programs, but if you get the full version of Acrobat and can write PDF documents, that's also a big plus. PDF format documents allow you to create very professional looking documents, and if you are designing websites, you can save your site design as PDF without revealing any code, shouldyou want to show someone without them stealing anything (i.e. if you do any sort of comissioned work and want an okay on the design). Updates to the professional software are frequent, conversely new purchase editions are infrequent, so your purchases will stay current for a long time. However, the main program that makes it a Web package is Dreamweaver and Dreamweaver kind of blows, especially if you are learning to code. You're still getting a massive saving, and if you wait until you don't get the student discount, you'll kick yourself.Edit: nice to meet a fellow Jonath[a/o]n, though my name is spelled with the o, not the a.

That's quite a good price for all that. You just have to question if you really need it. If you think it will be really useful to you then you can go and buy it.

Trust me, this is a super price, if you are serious about multimedia and video then this package will go along way to getting you there. Just check what the limitations are on the student package as I don't think you can use it for commercial use/gain

Hello! ^_^I have had CS3 for a long time and honestly it is not worth the money. It is not a bad program but it offers very few exclusive features that you couldnt acheive with GIMP, Blender, Notepad++ and a number of other open source applications. Adobe CS takes up a lot of room for what it is as well.The one thing in my opinion that is exclusive to Adobe CS is Flash. I have played with it many times and have made little animations but they never make it onto my site >.< although they are very easy to make!I do not mean to give the impression that CS is not good - it is, I just dont believe it is worth the money when I can do 95% of the stuff for free with open source applications.If you buy it - enjoy it! If you are a student like me though, you would be wiser saving your money until you really need it!Good luck! ^_^b

• 2 months later...

To my view the only tools for web design that are really needed is Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Flash with this you can make preaty much anything. Photoshop is a great tool in general to work with graphics and stuff which is mainly used by web desginers this is where Dreamweaver comes in to help you put this graphics together.I have Photoshop CS, Dreamweaver 8 and I am alright with this tools. I would like to get Flash 8 or Flash MX to work on Flash Player for my site, since I dont like the JW Player a bit ^^Aldo I would prefer to update to Photoshop CS4, Dreamweaver CS4 and Flash CS4 as Flash 8 and MX no longer support AS3. And now most of the things are coded with AS3.@Mehashi - Who hoo... I love you ^^ OpenSource for ever, but there is one problem Adobe owns mostly all of the marked and mostly all web design agencys run Adobe products like anything else including schools, collages and universitys. There price is deadly high but its worth it. GIMP is a great tool seeing how easy to work with it. Blender is also great but it can now beat 3D Studio MAX which also owns quite alot of market. Notepad++ is a neat tool but its a bit hard to work with any form of programing and web design if you dont see the outcome with stuff like Dreamweaver you can always see what the code is turning into and its much easier becuase of its GUI end. I was also reading about the student part, as I know I am a student as well. I got my Photoshop Creative Suite CS from a teacher of mind, and Dreamwaver from my parents freind for my B-Day. But Adobe gives students a discounte on all of there products just like Apple Corporation.- I am not here to make any one buy Adobe products as there is always an alternative OpenSource.Photoshop - Open Source: Paint.NET, GIMPDreamweaver - Open Source: Kompozer, Amaya, Notepad++, Notepad -Thanks!-ColdEdge

Notepad++ is a neat tool but its a bit hard to work with any form of programing and web design if you dont see the outcome with stuff like Dreamweaver you can always see what the code is turning into and its much easier becuase of its GUI end.
Don't trust in Dreamweaver's preview mode. On this very site I've heard claims from several people that their sites look good in Dreamweaver but don't work right in real browsers.It's just as easy to open an HTML file in your browser and the results are more accurate.Free text editors are just as useful as Dreamweaver and, because of the fact that they don't have a preview mode, amateur web developers won't make the mistake of being deceived by the preview.

Could I ask do expect a software to do everything the way you want it? Thats not possible because different browsers render everything differently some support CSS 3 some dont. But Dreamwaver dose a task of making it at least more visual then Notepad++, Kompozer is also HTML Generator but dosent render everything corecly as well. That is why you need to have knowlage how to make the site run via cross browser support which you can by adding extra CSS styles to the coding.

The point is though, you want to test in a standards compliant renderer, which Dreamweaver isn't. That way you have less trouble later. It is just as bad to preview in Komposer.

• 7 months later...

Archived