Asp Comparision

pritam79

Hello there, I am new to scripting languages and have done some simple stuff like forms, sessions etc and how they work in PHP. Also I went through the similar aspects of ASP. But I found the ASP programming constructs a bit difficult to master for people who have just started learning scripting languages. May be that’s not the case for experienced programmers, but I just get the feeling that PHP is easier to understand and master. Please tell me which language would be better to start off with. Thanks to all.

If you're talking about ASP.NET rather than classic ASP, then it's really a matter of preference over whether you like PHP or ASP.NET better. If you're talking about classic ASP, run away. Run straight to PHP. :)

• 2 months later...

Whats the difference between .NET and ASP.NET. My understanding is that they are both microsoft products and .NET is a framework to write software in a variety of languages like C# and Visual Basic, and ASP.NET is an extension of .NET for web application development. Is this right?

so if one was creating software, they'd write in something like C# in the .net platform? I was looking at a list of .NET languages on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_LanguagesCould you use all these languages for both software or web application development? Or is each language restricted to certain uses?

They're not restricted, you're always working with .NET. Whatever language you end up using eventually gets compiled down to a common language that .NET actually executes (common language runtime), so it doesn't really matter which language you use to author it with.

so was visual basic used for the .NET platform, but then got upgraded to VB.NET? (sorry for all the noob questions haha. I signed up for a class at school and its all about using .NET, C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, and SQL Server. I just saw all these on the syllabus and i wanted to know now since its a few weeks before we actually cover it)

• 3 months later...
I dont understand why run away. is ASP that outdated?
Im not sure how asp is, but asp.net is pretty awesome. Asp.net, visual studio, and sql server have great capabilities that can shortcut alot of coding. However, I'd still stick with PHP, because its open source. All that microsoft stuff is too expensive, and then hosting asp.net sites is expensive as well!

Archived