Iis Or Apache

pritam79

IIS is a Microsoft server so it is more adapted to run ASP and ASP.NET. PHP usually runs on Apache.I haven't done any tests, myself. It it just common to use PHP with Apache and ASP.NET with IIS.

There aren't very many differences between running PHP in IIS and Apache. The main difference is the operating system, not the server software. PHP on Linux has a few extra functions available that it doesn't have in Windows. I typically use IIS for development servers, because it's very easy to set up and administer, and I use Apache on Linux for production servers because it's typically more stable and secure. Although Microsoft has made IIS into a very mature and functional piece of software over the years.

There aren't very many differences between running PHP in IIS and Apache. The main difference is the operating system, not the server software. PHP on Linux has a few extra functions available that it doesn't have in Windows. I typically use IIS for development servers, because it's very easy to set up and administer, and I use Apache on Linux for production servers because it's typically more stable and secure. Although Microsoft has made IIS into a very mature and functional piece of software over the years.
What about using apache+windows(wamp) to develop in php and not linux+apache at all?

What about using apache+windows(wamp) to develop in php and not linux+apache at all?
There are server specific functions that are available only if PHP is attached to a certain web server ("CGI" and "FCGI" are not exactly attachments, so those functions are not available there), and there are also some Windows only extensions. Most other extensions and functions are available for Linux and Windows, unless explicitly noted otherwise as with the stat() function.Depending on your setup, you'll have access to different functions. WAMP with PHP as an Apache module will give you the Apache only and Windows only functions, minus the Linux only functions. LAMP with PHP as an Apache module will give you the Apache only and Linux only functions, minus the Windows only functions. WIMP with PHP as FCGI will give you access to Windows only functions, minus the IIS only ones (because you're running as FCGI, not as an IIS ISAPI filter or an IIS7 module).

Archived