Software In 5 Years

mobone

I know it's a taboo question cause nobody really ever knows, but personally I see languages like PHP replacing C, C++ entirely in the form of online applications for everything. They're already doing it with google docs and database manipulation.Online applications are more portable, easier to deliver, and easier to upgrade or patch.Your thoughts?

Online applications are going to continue increasing in popularity and complexity, but C and C++ will always be around. There will always be a need for system applications in addition to online applications.

Without an operating system, you can do nothing with a computer. You'd have to be a real computer expert to operate one.I'm sure computers will always have applications and desktops on them, I still use many programs aside from my browser.

My thought is that we will not have OS any more on our computers, we will have only ports for virtual desktops very soon.
In 5 years? No, in 5 years operating systems are going to be alive and well. In 100 years? Who knows. 5 years from now it's going to be very similar, almost identical, to what it is now.

In 5 years... IE9 will be around... we'll finally drop support for IE6, and hopefully for IE7 as well. IE8? Depends on whether IE9 appears in the next 2 years, 3 years or 4 years. Either way, the point is we'll be able to do more things than we can do now, since finally all browsers (including IE) will support them.Web and desktop languages will still exists hand in hand, even though web applications will grow, and desktop applications won't. Desktop applications will become just as easy to patch and upgrade as web applications... ######, some apps are doing that today on one level or another (e.g. Chrome and Firefox update from within; FileZilla client checks for updates on startup, etc.), but there still isn't a "unified and reliable" system for everyone to use. Microsoft Update is only by Microsoft, for Microsoft... similar solutions by other companies are also only managed by themselves, for themselves.PHP will be at least at version 6 (and if PHP development is still going on with the thrust it is today, it will likely be at version 7 and/or at the verge of version 8). It will become closer to desktop languages in syntax, abilities and usefullness, while still keeping its simplicity and error-correcting capabilities that keep newbies occupied (like taking non-existent constants for their string equivalents). How much closer that is I can't say.

• 3 weeks later...
In 5 years... IE9 will be around... we'll finally drop support for IE6, and hopefully for IE7 as well. IE8? Depends on whether IE9 appears in the next 2 years, 3 years or 4 years. Either way, the point is we'll be able to do more things than we can do now, since finally all browsers (including IE) will support them.Web and desktop languages will still exists hand in hand, even though web applications will grow, and desktop applications won't. Desktop applications will become just as easy to patch and upgrade as web applications... ######, some apps are doing that today on one level or another (e.g. Chrome and Firefox update from within; FileZilla client checks for updates on startup, etc.), but there still isn't a "unified and reliable" system for everyone to use. Microsoft Update is only by Microsoft, for Microsoft... similar solutions by other companies are also only managed by themselves, for themselves.PHP will be at least at version 6 (and if PHP development is still going on with the thrust it is today, it will likely be at version 7 and/or at the verge of version 8). It will become closer to desktop languages in syntax, abilities and usefullness, while still keeping its simplicity and error-correcting capabilities that keep newbies occupied (like taking non-existent constants for their string equivalents). How much closer that is I can't say.
i think that that new Google chrome that will be coming out will corrupt out generation! In my mind, i believe that in 25 years google will own everything (computer and internet related stuff) and since their OS is going to be completely on the internet. everyones going to go to that. all their files are going to be on the operating system and google will purposely crash their system AKA the great depression which *(to my knowledge)* was Completely planned out. Aka Twin Towers. so back to the point google will own everything, crash it purposly. and we'll have to start all over from the beginning. thats what i think we should all start at pascal. that is the programming language that first programmed the very first Tetris. around 25 years ago. and i think DOS is a really important thing to have under your belt because of its funsctionality. no more of this virtual crap.thats only my opinion. take it how you want.

In 25 years... I could agree if Google also support Windows applications or if there are enough web APIs for web apps to become as powerful as desktop apps. Both seem unlikely. The first because with compatibility they'll bring in viruses as well, and for enough APIs - similar deal. There are APIs that are simply unsuitable for the web, like saving a file on the user's computer for example. And you DO want to do that to avoid Google dominance, and purposeful crashing.There's also the constant concern of going offline. People still use more desktop apps than web apps because if your Internet goes down, you still have your work with you. Same deal for "what if Google's servers go down". I mean, if Microsoft's site goes down, you still have Windows. If your Internet is down, you can still use your desktop apps.So, for a "Web OS" to really be successful, you need... something like AIR I guess, only richer (device interaction wise...), and still - somerhing running on top of a desktop OS (potentially with a shell written with the same APIs).

Archived