[solved] Create Html Table Iteratively

MrRobse

Hello,I'm just starting with XSLT so maybe someone is able to help me with my topic :)There is an XML file with the following structure:

<TestCaseData>	<TestCase>		<TestCaseId>XXX</TestCaseId>		<Name>Name</Name>		<FolderYn>Y</FolderYn>		<CustomProperties>			<CustomProperty>				<Alias>Test Case ID</Alias>				<Name>Text01</Name>			</CustomProperty>			<CustomProperty>				<Alias>Preconditions</Alias>				<Name>Text02</Name>			</CustomProperty>			<CustomProperty>				<Alias>Type of Test</Alias>				<Name>List01</Name>			</CustomProperty>		</CustomProperties>	</TestCase>	<TestCase>		[...]	</TestCase></TestCaseData>

The most interesting element for me is "FolderYn" which can contain either "Y" or "N" as I would like to format my HTML output depending on the value of this element. The final output shall behave like this:If FolderYn is set to "Y", then format the content of <Name> as a heading (<h3>). If FolderYn is set to "N", then create a table and insert the content of <Name> for each <TestCase> as a new row until FolderYn is set to "Y" (which represents a new chapter).Or in HTML:

<h3>Name1</h3> <!-- If FolderYn=Y --><table>	<tr>		<th>Column 1</th>		<th>Column 2</th>	</tr>	<!-- Repeat for each TestCase as long as FolderYn=N and next TestCase/FolderYn=N -->	<tr>		<td>Name</td>		<td>Text01</td>	</tr></table><h3>Name2</h3> <!-- If FolderYn=Y --><h3>Name3</h3> <!-- If FolderYn=Y --><h3>Name4</h3> <!-- If FolderYn=Y --><table>	<tr>		<th>Column 1</th>		<th>Column 2</th>	</tr>	<!-- Repeat for each TestCase as long as FolderYn=N and next TestCase/FolderYn=N -->	<tr>		<td>Name</td>		<td>Text01</td>	</tr></table>

My major problem is: I tried to solve this with several if-statements but unfortunately it's not possible that e.g. the closing </table> tag is outside of the if-statement where the opening <table> has been defined.Oh my god, describing my problem is really hard. I hope anybody will understand my posting :) If you have further questions, I'll be happy answering them.Robert

• 2 weeks later...

A user from another forum helped me and here is a solution that's working.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"><!-- Main template --><xsl:template match="/">	<body>		<xsl:apply-templates/>	</body>	</xsl:template>		<!-- Template for TestCase elements -->	<!-- Possible variations:				FolderYn=Y => Folder				FolderYn=N => Test case	-->	<xsl:template match="TestCase">		<xsl:choose>			<xsl:when test="FolderYn='Y'">				<xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="IsFolder"/>			</xsl:when>			<xsl:when test="FolderYn='N' and preceding-sibling::TestCase[1]/FolderYn != 'N'">				<table>					<tr>						<th>Test Case ID</th>						<th>Title</th>						<th>Priority</th>					</tr>					<xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="IsTestCase"/>				</table>			</xsl:when>		</xsl:choose>			</xsl:template>		<!-- Folder template -->	<xsl:template match="TestCase" mode="IsFolder">		<xsl:choose>			<xsl:when test="string-length(IndentLevel) div 3 = 1">				<div id="heading2"><xsl:value-of select="Name"/></div>			</xsl:when>						<xsl:when test="string-length(IndentLevel) div 3 = 2">				<div id="heading3"><xsl:value-of select="Name"/></div>			</xsl:when>			<xsl:otherwise>				<div id="heading4"><xsl:value-of select="Name"/></div>			</xsl:otherwise>		</xsl:choose>	</xsl:template>	<!-- Test case template -->	<xsl:template match="TestCase" mode="IsTestCase">		<!-- Insert test case data as table row -->		<tr>			<td><xsl:value-of select="Text01"/></td>			<td><xsl:value-of select="Name"/></td>			<td><xsl:value-of select="TestCasePriorityName"/></td>		</tr>		<!-- Check next TestCase node and call test case template -->		<xsl:if test="following-sibling::TestCase[1]/FolderYn != 'Y'">			<xsl:apply-templates select="following-sibling::TestCase[FolderYn='N'][1]" mode="IsTestCase"/>		</xsl:if>	</xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

Archived