Isp?

Twango

I know this sounds like a dumb question. But i can't install ISP on my computer. It simply doesnt appear in my list of things to install (followed instructions) Can anyone help?here are some basic specs on my computer:LaptopGateway80GBi think 86GHZ

Do you mean IIS? You won't see it if you have a "home" edition of Windows.P.S. 86GHz is a bit high, you're more likely to have a processor running at around 2.0GHz.

You need IIS in order to run ASP. You can download other servers, but they don't run ASP.

click on the main 'Programs' link (as opposed to add/remove, etc.); then under 'Programs and Features' select the 2nd link 'Turn Windows features on or off'; then selected IIS which is the 3rd option.

Again, as i said. NOTHING COMES UP! the dialog box is just blank, NO checkboxes!! maybe i already have ISS installed? if so how do i run it?

I don't have Vista, but on Server 2003 I go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services.

NOTHING COMES UP! the dialog box is just blank, NO checkboxes!!
Sounds like a problem with Windows, something should come up at least, you shouldn't just be looking at a white box.

Vista Home Premium does include IIS7 (src), I don't know why he can't install it. He claims to have followed all of the directions but, if he did, then he should have installed it. I'm not sitting there watching him to know exactly what he's doing, and he seems to become angry when I try to verify that he actually did the proper steps, so it's easier to just say his Windows installation is broken.

Twango, first stop, are you sure it's Home Premium and not Home Basic? If it's Home Basic, it won't work. You can (and should) verify that by right clikcing on "Computer" and selecting "Properties". At the top part of the window that appears, you should see "Windows Vista Home Premium". BTW, this page also shows your real CPU and RAM further below.If it is indeed Home Premium, make sure you've followed instructions like these:http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/iisguy/Inst...IIS-7-on-Vista/(a video tutorial)http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/28/install-...-and-windows-7/(a written tutorial with screenshots)If even then it doesn't work, prepare some screenshots of your Computer Properties screen and your "Remove Windows Features" list. I hope you know how to make and share screenshots (if not, ask).

and he seems to become angry
I think "impatient" may be a better way to put it :) .

First, just to clear this up:ISP = Internet Service ProviderISS = International Space StationIIS = Internet Information Services

ok. but how do i EDIT the WEBSITES and get my own domain?
You need to buy a domain name from a domain name registrar. Most people probably buy a hosting account plus domain name together so that they have a commercial hosting account which their domain name points to. If you want to host a domain name from your local server, then you also need a DNS account that can point your domain name to your server. If you have a home account from your ISP, chances are they block the ports you need to host a website. Most ISPs only allow commercial accounts to host websites and not home accounts. If your ISP does allow you to host from home and you still want to, but your ISP gives a dynamic IP address (if your IP address changes), then you will need a dynamic DNS service like dyndns.com. DynDNS gives you a tool that will update their servers whenever your IP changes to make sure that your domain name always points to the right place.Other than that, IIS is set up to host more than one site. When you install it, you will have a default web site which will be the only one there. You can add a new one if you want, or just use the default (unless you're hosting several different sites it makes sense to use the default).
so i opened ISS manager, now how do i add files to it?
You don't add files to IIS, you just copy files to the web directory. If you look at the properties for your web site it will tell you where the home directory is. The home directory is the root of the web site. If your default web site has the home directory at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ then you can copy a file called test.html into that directory and then access it using http://localhost/test.html.

uh. so i have to buy something no matter how i try to get a website, basically, their is no way to get a free domain, and when i say ISS i am talking about IIS just TYPOS

Archived