Sign in to follow this  
homer.j.simpson

Expanding Container Element

Is it possible to set attributes of container element so that it expands automatically to accommodate the child element it contains when that child element is populated to the point that it's height becomes greater than that of it's parent? If I use overflow attribute in this situation, it would show scrollbar which I don't want. Can it be solved by CSS or is it in Java terrority?

Why not just don't set a height for the parent? or you could try overflow:visible.

Why not just don't set a height for the parent? or you could try overflow:visible.
I can't just set to the specific height because that child element is intended to fill with search result based on criteria provided by the user. So it may contain no result or 40 at most(limit). The problem with the (overflow: visible) is that, it doesn't work gracefully with background. In firefox, container element stay at fix height when those overflow contents go past it's boundary. In IE, it does expand but two div sections at each inner side of centered <body> element which serve as shadow are not being repeated anymore.This one is pic of firefox.88612290.jpgThis one is IE.71333463.jpg

it happens. :) Have been pulling a work all nighter myself, so I know how you feel.