Apache+php

spider

Hi y'all! I've recently installed Apache server 2.2, PHP 5.2x. Apache installed alright (It works! in the browser window), PHP too (127.0.0.1 returned the PHP intro page with descriptions and everything). I tried to test them and introduced a simple line into an html code,<html><head><title>PHPTest</title></head><body><?php $salutation = "Hello, World!"; echo "<p> $salutation </p>";?></body></html>and opened the file (test.php) in my browser. But it returned the following textЗдравствуй, мир!Anyone any idea? Thanks in advance!

I mean if you open the PHP page in the browser, and then go to View->Source, what's there?
The source breaks down like this<html><head><title>Страница сценария с переменной</title></head><body><p> Здравствуй, мир! </p></body></html>

Yeah, that's weird. Would there be some sort of output module for Apache which is rewriting the pages? It transforms the title text and the paragraph text but doesn't do anything to the HTML tags - that sounds like a program being run on the output.

Yeah, that's weird. Would there be some sort of output module for Apache which is rewriting the pages? It transforms the title text and the paragraph text but doesn't do anything to the HTML tags - that sounds like a program being run on the output.
Beats me... Guess I'll have to dig into it and find the bug. Anyways, thanks.

Looks like your PHP file is UTF-8 encoded... good for you!Now, the problem is making sure PHP outputs UTF-8 encoded HTML too. You can do that by adding an appropriate HTTP header, like so:

<?php header('Content-Type: text/html;charset=UTF-8'); ?><html><head><title>PHPTest</title></head><body><?php$salutation = "Hello, World!";echo "<p> $salutation </p>";?></body></html>

Make sure there is NOTHING before this first "<?php". Not even a whitespace! Otherwise, you'll get a "... headers already sent ..." error.

Archived