Ns, Mx, Cname Etc...

sckewi

Okay, so my domain registrar has a page where I can set my name servers as inns01.whateverhost.comns02.whateverhost.com.There's also a seperate page for "advanced DNS". Here I can set MX, CNAME, TXT and some others.My issue is that if I set my NS servers to an external host, and I don't leave them as the default values (the ones my registrar put in), the settings in the advanced DNS section are ignored. Is that how it should be? Or should I be able to set the advanced DNS settings, AND the nameservers to whatever I want and everything work properly.If someone could clear this up, it would be a great help.

The advanced settings are for the nameservers. If you change the nameservers then the advanced settings don't apply, because you're not using the nameservers which would use those settings. If you change the nameservers then you need to update the MX and other records on that nameserver. All of the DNS records are on the same servers, a DNS server has A, NS, MX, CNAME, etc records for the domain. So if you're changing which nameserver you want to use, then you need to configure that nameserver with your records.

Firstly, thanks very much for your reply.I think I've now got this. So by pointing my NS records/Nameservers to an external host I'm telling my registrar that the said host is now in charge of my MX, CNAME, A, etc records.If I've got this right, this would mean that if I want to use one company for hosting my website, and another for hosting my email, I would require ether:The desired website host can provide the IP address(s) for my A records, and the desired email host can provide the values I need for my MX records e.g server URL, Priority etc. I then go to my registrar, use my registrar's default NS record values and fill out the A and MX records with the values I get from the desired website host and desired email host.Or...I set my registrar's NS records with the values I get from my desired website host. The website host themselves should provide an option to change the MX records values (because they are now in charge of that), and I set those MX records to the values I get from my desired Email host.Is that right? :)

Archived