Xsl While Loop

mfran2002

hello,I have this xml input file:<roottag><tagchild type="skip">valuex</tagchild><tagchild type="skip">valuey</tagchild><tagchild type="text">value1</tagchild><tagchild type="text">value2</tagchild><tagchild type="skip">valuez</tagchild><tagchild type="text">value3</tagchild><tagchild type="text">value4</tagchild><tagchild type="skip">valuew</tagchild><tagchild type="text">value5</tagchild><tagchild type="text">value6</tagchild></roottag>I need the index of the first tagchild with type!=skip...in the example above index=3do you know how can I do?thanks

I think

<xsl:value-of select="//tagchild[@type != 'skip'][1]/position()" />

should produce what you need.If it doesn't, you may have to manually loop over all tagchild elements, check the attribute, then get the position if it matches, like so:

<xsl:for-each select="//tagchild"><xsl:if test="@type != 'skip'"><xsl:value-of select="position()" /></xsl:if></xsl:for-each>

In this case, if you need to actually do something more with the result, than just output it (which seems likely), you'll have to pass the position() as a parameter to another template. THAT template should then do whatever it has to do with the position in mind.

Archived