Actionscript 3

astralaaron

hi I am new with ActionScript 3, trying to apply a few things I have done in C++.Does anyone know where I can find examples of event handling inside of a class method?Specifically how to call that method and send the event parameter to the method..heres my package / class (BTW I am just trying to make a circle move around when you press the arrow keys)

package {import flash.display.*;import flash.events.*; public class Hero extends MovieClip {var xV = 0;  // x Velocityvar yV = 0;  // y Velocity	public function Hero(){}	public function MoveIt()	{	 this.x += xV;	 this.y += yV;		}	public function handleKeyDown(event:KeyboardEvent)	{        switch(event.keyCode)        {            case 38: --yV; break;            case 40: ++yV; break;            case 37: --xV; break;            case 39: ++xV; break;            default: break;        }	}	public function handleKeyUp(event:KeyboardEvent)	{        switch(event.keyCode)        {            case 38: ++yV; break;            case 40: --yV; break;            case 37: ++xV; break;            case 39: --xV; break;            default: break;        }    }}}

and here is where I am stuck / getting errors.. not knowing how to use this stuff inside of the timeline:

var newHero:Hero = new Hero();this.addChild(newHero);newHero.x = 300;newHero.y = 200;	stage.addEventListener(KeyboardEvent.KEY_DOWN, newHero.handleKeyDown());

I can't figure out how to get the event passed into HandleKeyDown()

Don't out parethesis () on the function name.By doing that you're running the function right there and assigning the function's return value as the event handler, which isn't what you want.

Archived