how do I turn video files to download files?

jcarpenter

Hello,This is my first time posting but I have a problem that I can't seem to solve on my own.I have a website with video files available for members. The members click on a link and the file opens with a media player. However my bandwidth is never going to be able to keep up with my members. How do I go about making the video and music files on my site links to download instead of streaming?Thank you in advance for any information.JCarpenter

Well, the easiest way I can think of is to archive (zip) your videos, so the users would be forced to download them first. If you want them to save raw movies, then... I don't think there's a way. It's all user's settings. At least, I think it's only that though.

• 2 weeks later...

yes putting them in .zip files is the best method. however, if you have php set up there is a possibility you can use the header() function, here's the example they have posted on php.net for that function:

<?php// We'll be outputting a PDFheader('Content-type: application/pdf');// It will be called downloaded.pdfheader('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="downloaded.pdf"');// The PDF source is in original.pdfreadfile('original.pdf');?>

I havent tested it though so I do not know if it works well or not.

• 2 months later...