ASP vs ASP.NET

qcom

Now, I know that ASP is not the same as ASP.NET but I'm wondering if ASP is still the term generally used to refer to ASP.NETThe page at W3 (http://www.w3schools.com/aspnet/aspnet_intro.asp) sort of implies (as well as the Wikipedia article) that ASP is practically an obsolete version of ASP.NETI feel like I may be misunderstanding this, is this true?Thanks!P.S. What's the deal with .NET and where does that play a role in the ASP vs ASP.NET debate?

ASP is indeed obsolete in favour of ASP.NET. .NET is basically a framework, it abstracts certain functions and then provides interfaces that you can access using one of the .NET languages (e.g. VB, C#). ASP.NET is the server scripting component of that framework. The term "ASP" is sometimes (though rarely and not entirely correctly) used to refer generically to Microsoft's server scripting technologies, with the quantifier "Classic ASP" or "ASP Classic" used for the older system.There is no "debate" - ASP.NET is simply newer than ASP, and intended to replace it.

OK, thanks.Well.. I guess I have to choose which server scripting language would be best for me to learn.I would mainly be looking to learn this to develop code for dynamic ecommerce shopping carts and databases, and I heard ASP.NET is the way to go, is this true?Also, how is the compatibility of both browsers and OSes in regards to ASP.NET?

All versions of ASP will only run on a Microsoft IIS server. PHP and ColdFusion can run on virtually any server. These languages aren't affected by browsers, they all execute on the server. There are several shopping cart applications that have been done in each language, no one language is really more suited for that than the others.

All versions of ASP will only run on a Microsoft IIS server. PHP and ColdFusion can run on virtually any server. These languages aren't affected by browsers, they all execute on the server. There are several shopping cart applications that have been done in each language, no one language is really more suited for that than the others.
OK, makes sense, because I forgot these are "server-side" scripting languages, in contrast, JavaScript is a "client-side" scripting language, am I right?Would it make sense to go with ASP.NET if my server is compatible? Which one is the best one for a novice, but that is still very powerful?

Archived