why do I need the www.?

alex242

It seems my page: secondvoid.com only works if you type it as: 'www.secondvoid.com', otherwise it returns a 404 error. Why would this be?EDIT: it won't even work with the 'www.' now, because I took down the index.html file; but still, why would this occur?

It's a web server and/or DNS setting. You should be able to adjust your site so that it points the non "www." version to the "www." one or vice versa.In your case, it's probably just a web server setting, because the version without "www." returns a 404 error. If it was also a DNS setting, it wouldn't return anything at all.I don't know how you'll be able to do that though. Different hosers provide different ways of doing it... and honestly, I'm not familiar enough with cPanel to even tell you how to do it there (assuming your host uses that).

It doesn't matter what there is. It only matters what your host provides, as it's up to them to install it and make it available to you.If you can't fing your way around whatever control panel they're providing, contact them, and ask them to redirect the version without "www." to the version with "www."... or vice versa... whichever you prefer users to see and remember, redirect the other to that.I don't use a control panel, as I've almost always had direct access to the server itself. Depending on whether you're using IIS or Apache, the setting is done in a different fashion, but if you don't have direct access to the server, you won't be able to do either kind of setting.

Archived