antialiasing to simulate vector smooth edges

Abby

When I save my images in PNG or GIF format for the web, I opt for no antialiasing, which gives them jagged pixel edges. Antialiasing usually blurs the edge to white, or whatever the background color is. If I want to place the image over multiple-colored backgrounds, the antialiasing is ugly and visible.For instance, here's a webpage example. Look at the flower logo at the top left. It has ugly hard edges. But if I were to antialias it to the light blue background, its top edge would show weird against the dark blue border color. Furthermore, if I antialias it to the light blue background, and then decide to change the background color someday, I'd have to re-save every image antialiased to the new background color. Can I make the antialiased edges fade to transparent instead of to white/color/dark? I see web graphics with nice, smooth edges, so I figure it must be possible.

if you are saving them as png's, did you try saving them to a higher bit depth? 24-bit vs. 8-bit? Or possibly 32-bit.
Thanks! That was the problem. 24-bit makes the file size larger, but it's worth it.

Archived