1st Website

DizzyDan

Tis my 1st webpage created for The Band that I am in High Tolerance.Tell me what you think, idea, errors, ect... you know what to do!More content is being created like BIO, VIDEOS, PICS, STORE, all that good stuff but we needed something now and this is the home page!So with that said Release the hounds!Thanks agian!.

Very nice actually. Has room for improvement but looks better then most first websites. I would reccomend, for a band site, you make it more media heavy. It's too static atm

Very cool! Don't make the logo on the home page a link (clickable), since it goes nowhere.The artist in me doesn't like the use of screen real estate. It's a lot of verticalness with a lot of empty space on either side. But a lot of web pages do that, and I'm all about liquid layout ... but I'm so new to web design, maybe there's a reason to avoid liquid layout which I'm not aware of. So ignore my rambling.The link text inside the transparent box is very hard to read ... it's indigo against a black background. You might want to switch it to light gray or something. Same for the link:visited state. Dark purple is hard to see against black.The form should not open in a new window (for those of us who use tabs), and it should include a link back to the home page.

Thanks a lot for reviewing the site!I totally agree, a lot of improvment is needed. We are currently figuring out how we want to layout the media and other content so it would be much less static. I guess at this point we just want to direct all our traffic to our social network sites, for now. My intentions are to evertually turn it around to our source site.I do agree with the Empty side space. I dont know how I am going to work in the "liquid layout" just yet but would like to. Finding time is the hardest part of the project. (an hour here or there isnt cutting it!) I do plan to make it 800px wide in the next update. which will help a little bit for now.Definatly need to fix the color of the links, you are right its not to nice to look at and the more I look it hurts my eyes. hah.I do see what you mean not to open up the form in a new window and I have pondered this a while before i decided to have it open in a new window. My reasoning is i feel i dont want the viewer to "leave" the site for anyreason. Even if it has a link back to the home page Im not secure enough that they will come back! I know that i have left sites because of redirecting and stupid forms, surveys and what not. I think Xing out after submitting the form is better although it is a common suggestion brought up for either side. I thought it was best to open a new window for that. Any other opinions on it couldnt hurt!Hopefully I will be able to update the site during this week sometime, I plan on doing at least the suggested:- 800px wide- compress the images- remove link to homepage (on the homepage)- change link color in text boxThanks agian for all your help!

Okay my points of improvement as addition on the other posts: - too much darkness (try to find a good color scheme with balance) - inpage scrollbar (most people won't scroll such scrollbars)- use a other fontstyle and color (Times is not recommend for websites - and gray text on a dark background isn't good readable)- images need to be optimized (size, dimensions and alt text)- no heading <h1>etc. text - no meta description.[edit] typo

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all compliments and critiques,I have recently completed an update,Here is the link agian- Restructured the CSS to have no absolute positioning.- Cleaned up the html (still gets like 10 or more validation errors which i dont really understand)- Changed the mailing list sign up from a link to a different sign up page to now a form directly on the page just for an e-mail address. Which i think is a lot nicer and neater, working on either having the thank you page open in a new window or redirect back to the home page, which would you suggest?- Increased the size of the text area, not sure if i like it im still thinking of a better idea for that. I think what i want to do is have just the date and the topic viewable with a read more... link that you click and it opens and closes the context of the topic below the title to read. I think i need jQuery to achieve this.- Changed Text style.- Changed link color to a dark red and hover to white and underlined.- Added some nifty sprite effects for the social network links not sure if i like the gray though, seems to bland. I think i should splash some red to the footer image like i did to the header image that might do the trick.Still have more tweaking its just hard to find enough time to complete bigger tasks.Working on,- Image Gallery- Bio Page- Tourdates page- Merch Page- Maybe a ForumAny other ideas for the webpages content couldnt hurt.EDIT: Woo! happy 100th post for me!

on the home page, you should try and make the text background semi-translucent so you can see some of the picture. Or shorten the header so you can bump the picture up a bit, it seems kind of weird to not be able to see any of it.

on the home page, you should try and make the text background semi-translucent so you can see some of the picture. Or shorten the header so you can bump the picture up a bit, it seems kind of weird to not be able to see any of it.
yea im kind of stuck on this, im not exactly sure what i want to do, the picture was intended to be just a 'background' but if you cant see it it seems kind of odd.Im going to try and increase the background image and the text box opacity when i get home and see what that looks like. I might have to use a different image gotta ask the other bandmates what they think too.

First, I must say I like your band's songs... and this is someone who's REALLY picky about rock music telling you this (I'm much less picky about pop, techno and electronica). "Heroes", "Speed Checked by Radar" and "Beast in me" stand out in particular for me. While "Heroes" has already found its best usage, for "Speed Checked by Radar"... if you ever hear of a hollywood movie script involving bikers, you MUST offer them that song. It's hard for me to picture anything but bikers on the road with that music on the background.Now... as for the site... I'd also suggest either making the foreground more transparant and/or moving the text on the left or right of the image. And I'm just nitpicking here, but the page is invalid - you're using about="_blank" instead of JavaScript, you're using "u" for underlining instead of CSS, you're not closing some (or perhaps all...) of your "p" and "b" elements... maybe there's more too.BTW, now I understand why you're "Dizzy" Dan.

Well, Boen I truly appreciate the compliments about our music, I by no means am trying to plug my band on this forum and to get a response from our music with no intentions of soliciting is a great feeling and I thank you! To know anyone likes what you do is always a great feeling. We actually submitted Speed Check by Radar to a "While Driving" Song contest ::crossed fingers:: but usually those contests are rigged or the popular band wins not the song. Anyway, I don't want to get in trouble for getting side tracked! Feel free to contact me if you were interested in any conversation about our music or any music in general, that goes for anybody!Back to the site,I changed the text box to have the image as its background completely. I know the footers image has a jagged edge, but it will have to stay for now while i work on editing the image itself.It looks a little plain up top but I think i will eventually move the text box all the way right and add a new smaller column left to place some cool features and what not. Not exactly sure how to spice up the top just yet but i will be throwing some ideas at the chalk board this month. I do plan to have the nav link to BIO, IMAGES, MEDIA ect... on the header to the left and right of the big HT symbol.What do you think of having the text box with the background image?EDIT: BTW, There are several rumors going around out there about "Dizzy" Dan! One involves a wiffleball bat and a tree. haha.

it looks good! I was thinking of just giving the text box background and slightly opaque background to let some of the picture through.

I think it finally looks like it belongs there!

it looks good! I was thinking of just giving the text box background and slightly opaque background to let some of the picture through.
Do you mean you think i should do something different or I already did what you were thinking?EDIT: Updated the site again but on a test page here- 900px wide (will be 960px soon)- Layout change to small left and large right column- Embeded facebook- Added music playerI think it looks 1000% better from when it first started, and 900% better than yesterday! i have a thousand more ideas for it too. I feel like staying up for about 7days straight until i complete it but the rational part of my brain told me not to do such it a good idea, good think i wasn't drinking might be staying up for 7 days.I know im not nearly done but i want to thank all of you for the help and future help of developing this site. Im super pleased with how it is turning out and super excited to finish it, though it will probably never be done.

sorry, I think my original post was a bit confusing. My suggestion was to leave the background image as it was originally, and just make the text background (gray) more translucent. But in light of your latest redesign effort I would keep it the way you have it. Lookin' good!

Archived