Using JS to manipulate CSS properties

Saeed

Good Day,I'm learning JS and CSS; to practice, I wrote a function to loop thru all rgb values and assign them to the backgroundColor property of a div:

<script type=text/javascript><html><head><script type="text/javascript">function cs (){  var obj = document.getElementById('t');  var tmp = ["0", "0", "0"];  var a = tmp[0];  var b = tmp[1];  var c = tmp[2];  var clr;   for (i=0; i<256; i++){     a = i;     for (j=0; j<256; j++){        b = j;        for (k=0; k<256; k++){           c = k;           clr = "rgb(" + a + ", " + b + ", " + c + ")";            obj.style.backgroundColor = clr;         } // end of k     } // end of j  } // end of i   alert (clr); // just to c if it worked} // end of function div{ background-color:#b0c4de;}</script><style type="text/css">div{ background-color:#b0c4de;}</style></head><body><div id="t">       This is a text inside a div element.</div><input type="button" value="color" onClick="cs();"></body></html>

This snippet seems to work, albeit very slowly.Here are my questions:

1. Is the code ok? If I use other values for the loop variables, it doesn't seem to work.
  2. I put an alert() right b4 the color assignment just to see if the loop works. I used <100 as the break condition and incremented the loop variables by 10. Strange thing happened:the loop repeated itself! The alert box would show (90, 90, 90) and then starts from "0" again.What could be causing this?
  3. What is a better alternative for displaying the loop variables while it's looping? document.write() overrides the whole page and stops the loop. I'd like something like:"now displaying the color value abc" to be shown without interrupting the count.

Thank you and a good weekend.

why not just use loop variables? store the values and then display using innerhtml within a div at end of loops.

<script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*//*---->*/function cs (){var obj = document.getElementById('t');var rgb_code=document.getElementById('rgb_values');//var tmp = ["0", "0", "0"];//var a = tmp[0];//var b = tmp[1];//var c = tmp[2];var clr;var store_values="";for (i=0; i<=250; i+=10)	{	for (j=0; j<=250; j+=10)		{		for (k=0; k<=250; k+=10)			{		clr = "rgb(" + i + ", " + j + ", " + k + ")";		obj.style.backgroundColor = clr;				store_values+=clr+"<br />";			} // end of k		} // end of j	} // end of irgb_code.innerHTML=store_values;alert (clr); // just to c if it worked} // end of function/*--*//*]]>*/</script><div id="t">This is a text inside a div element.</div><input type="button" value="color" onClick="cs();"><div id="rgb_values"></div>

Archived