suggestions, improvements?

skaterdav85

I created a mash-up for one of my favorite bands (limp bizkit) and just wanted to see what other developers thought of it in any aspect (usability, new features, likes, dislikes, confusion, etc). The site uses web services from Google Maps, YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, and Tiny Geocoder, all within the CodeIgniter PHP framework.EDIT: forgot the link lol.http://followthenookie.com

The site is actually amazing, it looks great, and functions great, VERY VERY well-done. Only critiques i have are, while viewing it on my laptop my screen resolution is 1024 by 768 and i get scroll bars for the width (using google chrome), Also how you exclude IE users from viewing the site is as lame as well liking the band 'Limp Bizkit' in the first place. Although, as lame as it is (the whole excluding IE users and liking limp bizkit) it was done EXCEPTIONALLY well!

The site is actually amazing, it looks great, and functions great, VERY VERY well-done. Only critiques i have are, while viewing it on my laptop my screen resolution is 1024 by 768 and i get scroll bars for the width (using google chrome), Also how you exclude IE users from viewing the site is as lame as well liking the band 'Limp Bizkit' in the first place. Although, as lame as it is (the whole excluding IE users and liking limp bizkit) it was done EXCEPTIONALLY well!
i never tested various screen resolutions. i just tested on my mac which is 1280 x 800 and a PC at work which i believe is about the same since i dont get the horizontal scroll bars.Regarding IE, I need to try and fix that. I was having JS compatibility problems so i didn't bother, but maybe i'll fix that. And regarding Limp Bizkit, I know a lot of people don't like them but I do =). This application could be more successful for another artist, but i would have to gather up some concert data which could be a pain.

I would recommend making sure your site works ok without javascript.
my site is heavily driven by JS. My main feature, Google Maps, is all JS based so the site would be useless without JS lol. I guess I could make sure the site fails gracefully if JS is disabled. I haven't checked that, which I should. Thanks for pointing that out. How do most developers deal with users disabling JS?

my site is heavily driven by JS. My main feature, Google Maps, is all JS based so the site would be useless without JS lol. I guess I could make sure the site fails gracefully if JS is disabled. I haven't checked that, which I should. Thanks for pointing that out. How do most developers deal with users disabling JS?
Just a knee-jerk reaction. When I see a website that flat-out doesn't work without javascript, it makes me want to avoid the site completely.

You could implement more database driven content, instead of just getting it straight from the API. While you are pulling down all that information from those sites (say if using cURL), you could save all that stuff in the database at the same time. Then if a user has javascript disabled, you could redirect them to a back-end driven site, where they can get a less pretty, but still content driven website experience, using the same information you were going to show the other user.

how do you determine if JS is disabled? is that something you'd do on the server through data available in the header?
sort of. I googled it myself just to be sure it's possible, and this appeared to be a good source of info on the subject.http://bytes.com/topic/php/answers/541838-...ipt-enabled-php

• 3 weeks later...
how do you determine if JS is disabled? is that something you'd do on the server through data available in the header?
You need to output HTML as if there's no JavaScript, along with JavaScript to be executed. The JavaScript code itself should do all stuff that should be done with JavaScript enabled including e.g. performing XMLHttpRequests for additional JavaScript specific content and the hiding of a warning message (if you have one).I don't think it's realistic to think you can duplicate your concert map and suggested videos for a JavaScript-less environment, but you could at least have a warning message at the home page, not hiding the navigation, and degrade the gallery nicely.Also, if you could make it work at least in IE9, that would be nice.

Archived