Web Services HELP

KeenEyeLearner

HiI am absolutely new at web services, but now i have a basic theoretical idea [ read the web services tutorial from w3schools ]. Please ignore my stupidity. My Problem..... :) I have deployed JBoss Server on my system. To understand web services i want to develop a simple VB application which takes two numbers and gives the sum of the numbers by sending the operands to the server and recieving the result, using web services. Once this is done, based on my understanding i will later get involved in sending database queries to the server, recieving replies [ i understand it will be in xml format ] and interpreting those replies again using web services.( will use VB as frontend )Please help me. I have following questions....1. Can this be done by me if i know vb/jsp/javascript/xml/html fairly enough?2. If No, ( what more do i need to know )?3. If Yes, kindly help me understand what needs to be done in a step by step manner?Thankyou very much :)

yes, you can do all this with the technologies you mention. Of course, I feel compelled to mention that web services are probaly easiest created using Cold Fusion. However, Cold fusion uses an older protocol in its contruction which doesn't matter to much for the intents you describe. but if you get into situations where you have one web service speaking to another, then it will be an issue.Needless to say, what you would do is set up a web service that contains the query you want to execute. Then, the page that consumes the service will pass into the service the values the query needs to execute. Then, your service will return the results as you prefer to receive them - as a query, a message, a comma delimited string, etc.I just wanted to clarify that since you seemed to indicate that you were going to send the query in - I would not advise that as that could turn into a field day hackers. Please, also make sure that your web service has IP sniffers so that it will only accept calls from specific IP addresses.

Thanks Skemcin :) A few more questions regarding the same. I will concentrate on the simple VB problem at hand..Q 1. Will ....(a)The Web service be a java file [ converted to a class ] , having some function int sum(int a, int :) which will take a & b and return their sum?(b)The VB code create an object of that Java class and call the function sum()?Again i might be asking a stupid question. Please help me understand which Langauge/Technology will be used in creating the Web Service at the server and the Client and how to fit XML in this senario.Thanks again.

HiWell i have Successfully created a web service using Axis in java and am able to access it using a java client [ Thanks a lot to w3schools tutorial ] . What i need to do is create a VB client now. My Question is....1.. Can i access a java web service running on a jboss server with Visual Basic Only? I mean do i need to know .net for accessing the service, won't vb allow me to create such a client [ i still have not tried my hand at . net and am clueless how to code in it. :) ]If vb is enough, could anyone kindly help me with some steps on how to go ahead with it ( any advice, link, sample code etc ...... anything ).Thank you? :)