Setting charset

lauralee

I have attempted to include mysql_set_charset in my connection as suggested in a previous forum discussion as shown in the CONNECTION CODE below, but I receive this error. Warning: htmlspecialchars() [function.htmlspecialchars]: charset `UTF8' not supported, assuming iso-8859-1 in /home/lauralee/public_html/test127/includes/helpers.inc.html.php on line 6.When the following function is called:function html($text) { return htmlspecialchars($text, ENT_QUOTES, 'UTF8'); }Where and how do I set the charset to UTF-8?CONNECTION CODE USED: <?php // Connect to the database server $link = @mysql_connect('localhost', '***', '***)'); if (!$link) { exit('<p>Unable to connect to the ' . 'database server at this time.</p>'); } mysql_set_charset('utf8'); // Select the *** database if (!@mysql_select_db('***_***')) { exit('<p>Unable to locate the *** ' . 'database at this time.</p>'); }?>

It should be "UTF-8" with a hyphen.Anyways, quoting the manual:

For the purposes of this function, the charsets ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-15, UTF-8, cp866, cp1251, cp1252, and KOI8-R are effectively equivalent, as the characters affected by htmlspecialchars() occupy the same positions in all of these charsets.
It doesn't really matter if you don't specify a character set for that function.

For the record, "utf8" is indeed the correct value to supply to mysql_set_charset(). It's just not the right value to htmlspecialchars(). When in doubth, read the manual, and use whatever it says there.

Archived