Writing a schema, maybe use <xs:extension base=>

craftid

Hey folks,I'm following the schema tutorial here on w3schools, I've hit a point where I "think" I know the correct method, but I was hoping some of you experienced folks could have a look at this.I'm trying to write a schema for this XML document.

<minutes>	<entry id="1">		<date>			<day>16</day>			<month>January</month>			<year>2011</year>		</date>		<recap>			<recapheader>Recap of last week:</recapheader>			<recapcontent>Blah de blah de blah</recapcontent>		</recap>		<new>			<newheader>New Points</newheader>			<newcontent>Bluu de bluu de bluu.</newcontent>		</new>	</entry></minutes>

I'm struggling to imagine how to write for these elements. As I understand it, I'd first use complex types and sequences to get entry,data,recap,new defined, then somehow use "xs:extension base" to further define the elements? Could anyone point me on the right track please?I'll post back later when I'm home from work and I get a chance to actually play around with this.Cheers.

A "type" in XML Schema, whether it's a simple or complex one defines the contents of a node. Everything within it is just part of that content's specification.You'd have to write a separate complexType for each element, and you can then use certain specifiers (e.g. xs:sequence, xs:all) to arrange them in a certain order.When a certain element or type repeats many times across the document, you can put it aside and reference it, but otherwise, you can embed it directly... here's a partial example for your sample XML to get your started:

<?xml version="1.0"?><xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">	<xs:element name="minutes">		<xs:complexType>			<xs:sequence>				<xs:element name="entry" maxOccurs="unbounded">					<xs:complexType>						<xs:all>							<xs:element name="date" type="date"/>							<xs:element name="recap"/>							<!--minOccurs="0" in case there's nothing new... or am I missing the purpose of this element? -->							<xs:element name="new" minOccurs="0"/>						</xs:all>						<xs:attribute name="id" type="xs:nonNegativeInteger"/>					</xs:complexType>				</xs:element>			</xs:sequence>		</xs:complexType>	</xs:element>	<xs:complexType name="date">		<!--Further specification here, assuming you use dates that need to be stored in this fashion as opposed to simply using xs:date-->	</xs:complexType></xs:schema>

You might want to get yourself a good XML Schema editor... there are a lot of free ones, but the one I'd reccomend is Stylus Studio because of its visual XML Schema editor. It has helped me a lot in figuring out what's right where.

That's great, thank you very much! :) You're exactly correct regarding <xs:element name="new" minOccurs="0"/>, this will be very useful. For the date format, I have to say I followed the w3schools tutorial on XML Attributes, where the "favorite" format for a date is to use all elements instead of attributes. I have no specific need for that format, so I'm happy to play around.I'll put it to practice in a few hours, and report back.Thanks again!

Archived