Work as ....?

eduard

Are there examples what a retailer can do if he/she uses a system (developed by me using PHP and MySQL) (preferably in Spanish)?Where do I have to search? Google?>examples of PHP and MySQL?
well, I've tried to make the point that each company/business operates in a different way, and certain information will be more or less valuable to company A vs. company B. The idea is to show that you are competent enough to at least setup the framework, and that when they have specific requests, you will have the ability to implement them. Common reports for retailers can be inventory management, tracking orders, and taking payments. Like I said, you'd have to start working with a client to get the finer details, but you can at least give them an idea that you can do something, at the very least. I guess I know about this through experience and education, but if you ask enough (retail) clients, you will find common themes amongst all of them. All databases can do is store information, but it's up to the client and the developer to figure out the best way to represent that information in meaningful way.edit: you may find some examples online about all of these, but there will unvariably be deviations in the final product for each specific client. Your best bet is to read about how databases work, and what makes them work best before making one. You need to learn about the kinda of databases you can make, normalization, what type to set each field to, primary and foreign keys, auto incrementing, etc. Knowledede makes the best foundation.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, I've tried to make the point that each company/business operates in a different way, and certain information will be more or less valuable to company A vs. company B. The idea is to show that you are competent enough to at least setup the framework, and that when they have specific requests, you will have the ability to implement them. Common reports for retailers can be inventory management, tracking orders, and taking payments. Like I said, you'd have to start working with a client to get the finer details, but you can at least give them an idea that you can do something, at the very least. I guess I know about this through experience and education, but if you ask enough (retail) clients, you will find common themes amongst all of them. All databases can do is store information, but it's up to the client and the developer to figure out the best way to represent that information in meaningful way.edit: you may find some examples online about all of these, but there will unvariably be deviations in the final product for each specific client. Your best bet is to read about how databases work, and what makes them work best before making one. You need to learn about the kinda of databases you can make, normalization, what type to set each field to, primary and foreign keys, auto incrementing, etc. Knowledede makes the best foundation.
I agree with you! However there is a lot of mistrust here! So I have to convince the owner (a woman) that a data-base is (very) helpful!I am thinking of printing a page (she can read it easily-chilean people doesn´t have patience and tell her that I can do that for free (I am learning!)

I agree with you! However there is a lot of mistrust here! So I have to convince the owner (a woman) that a data-base is (very) helpful!I am thinking of printing a page (she can read it easily-chilean people doesn´t have patience and tell her that I can do that for free (I am learning!)
I don't think you should approach it from the view point of trying to sell her the technology. she probably doesn't know how it works, or cares necessarily. What you have to sell them on is the finished product. You need to find out what she would like that makes her company easier to run. Something that makes her more productive than she already is, something that she can get more insight into her operations out of. You need to help her find ways that you can make her day to day operations easier, more informative, and more productive. It all depends on here requests and her expectations. Then you explain how you can help her you can help her solve these problems, what technology it will involve, and how this will make her life easier.

I don't think you should approach it from the view point of trying to sell her the technology. she probably doesn't know how it works, or cares necessarily. What you have to sell them on is the finished product. You need to find out what she would like that makes her company easier to run. Something that makes her more productive than she already is, something that she can get more insight into her operations out of. You need to help her find ways that you can make her day to day operations easier, more informative, and more productive. It all depends on here requests and her expectations. Then you explain how you can help her you can help her solve these problems, what technology it will involve, and how this will make her life easier.
Exactly, therefore I am searching for a simple, clear page which I can give her (explanation!)?

Exactly, therefore I am searching for a simple, clear page which I can give her (explanation!)?
Please, can you send me the link where I do find a simple and clear example of e. g. a database for an ordinary owner and what I can do by using PHP and MySQL?I need it today!

My idea now is! I make a simple data-base of the local vegetable shop (potatoes, tomatoes, salade etc.-they sell also fruit!) at home, for free! I know some people there and they are willing to help me!) I hope to finish this in some weeks! Then I´ll go around with my laptop to several shops and then I´ll see which win: money or discrimination (I´ll think I already know the answer!) My questions are:1 What do you think of this idea?2 What should I put in the data-base (products, prices, time of delivery, stock?, etc.)3 What do I need to show my results OFF-line (download PHP)?
THIS IDEA DOESN´T WORK: CHILE IS SUBDESALLARADO AND VERY CONSERVATIVE (THERE AREN´T MANY COMPUTERS HERE!). SO I THINK OF MAKING A WEBSITE USING PHP AND MYSQL FROM TOMORROW AND WHEN THIS TEST IS FINISHED TRY TO SELL THIS IN OTHER COUNTRIES! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF IT? (SO I DO EVERYTHING BY THE INTERNET!)

THIS IDEA DOESN´T WORK: CHILE IS SUBDESALLARADO AND VERY CONSERVATIVE (THERE AREN´T MANY COMPUTERS HERE!). SO I THINK OF MAKING A WEBSITE USING PHP AND MYSQL FROM TOMORROW AND WHEN THIS TEST IS FINISHED TRY TO SELL THIS IN OTHER COUNTRIES! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF IT? (SO I DO EVERYTHING BY THE INTERNET!)
Sorry, for my previous reply! But I´m really desperate! I need work very urgently! Therefore I need to have eperience (PHP and MySQL)! But here in Chile, it´s impossible to obtain that experience (old-fashioned and very conservative!) So I´m thinking using PHP and MSQL and promote this example abroad!All suggestions are welcome!

sure, yeah. do whatever it takes, man. Make it happen! I don't know what you're waiting for. We've been through lots of threads with you giving you ideas and topics for you to work on and practice. I'm not sure there's anything left for us to do or tell you. You have to do the next step, making something, on your own.

Yeah. If making something for other people is not an option for whatever reason, making something for yourself is the only option left.That "something for yourself" could be anything from a personal site (one to add to your portfolio) to a "for profit" site where you sell something... whether it's a product, a service of some sort or just do advertising.But in the end of the day, you must actually DO SOMETHING.

sure, yeah. do whatever it takes, man. Make it happen! I don't know what you're waiting for. We've been through lots of threads with you giving you ideas and topics for you to work on and practice. I'm not sure there's anything left for us to do or tell you. You have to do the next step, making something, on your own.
Ok, I start now!

Ok, I start now!

Yeah. If making something for other people is not an option for whatever reason, making something for yourself is the only option left.That "something for yourself" could be anything from a personal site (one to add to your portfolio) to a "for profit" site where you sell something... whether it's a product, a service of some sort or just do advertising.But in the end of the day, you must actually DO SOMETHING.
Thanks, I start now (maybe you can explain to me later how I design a properly portfolio (folders?))?

Yeah, I think for the time being you should be making your own one, basically like a demo to show off different applications that might benefit a local retailer. Being able to show a dynamic product catalog would be a good start. With that you can create a database with a few mock products, and include info like price, description, and photo. You could create a facebook or twitter account and then integrate them into the demo site to show that you can work with third party API's. this has numerous applications, not just in social networking. You could also create a secure login page that a client could use to run reports like how many products are in inventory, how soon before products need to be ordered, etc. You would also want them to see that you can create a contact form so that people can email the company for product orders, customer service questions, RFI's, etc. * The contact form is where I would start first. It's pretty easy and good intro to the interaction between HTML/Javascript (for validation), and PHP. * Then make a database of products. Have images for them and make a product gallery. Make it so that a user can select a catagory from a drop down menu, or by clicking on a navigation drop down link, and have it load the gallery based on the value submitted. You could even try and incorporate AJAX into the process to have the image galleies change without forcing the page to refresh. This is good step towards learning the interaction between all the web languges, both front and back end.* Then create the a login page using SESSION. A client can login to it, and manage/edit some basic product details and info, run reports, etc. This would be a good add-on that you could sell to clients.* Third party API's. At this point you should feel confident enough to try and incorporate some third party API's. some one's to consider are: Facebook, Twitter, Google Maps, Paypal.Basically any system you make for one client will be different for another client, so there's no way to anticipate all particulars. The idea behind this demo project is to show them your competency at doing this kind of work and general, and should be a good example of your skillset. If all goes well, you should be able to handle most requests and considerations not explicitly covered in general tutorials. You will often be forced to be creative to accomplish what a client want's, but you have to know the basics and the limits of your skillset before committing to any job.
I try these! Where in the PHP and MySQL tutorials should I be?* The contact form is where I would start first. It's pretty easy and good intro to the interaction between HTML/Javascript (for validation), and PHP. * Then make a database of products. Have images for them and make a product gallery. Make it so that a user can select a catagory from a drop down menu, or by clicking on a navigation drop down link, and have it load the gallery based on the value submitted. You could even try and incorporate AJAX into the process to have the image galleies change without forcing the page to refresh. This is good step towards learning the interaction between all the web languges, both front and back end.* Then create the a login page using SESSION. A client can login to it, and manage/edit some basic product details and info, run reports, etc. This would be a good add-on that you could sell to clients.* Third party API's. At this point you should feel confident enough to try and incorporate some third party API's. some one's to consider are: Facebook, Twitter, Google Maps, Paypal.

Thanks, I start now (maybe you can explain to me later how I design a properly portfolio (folders?))?
"Portfolio" means a collection of your past "works" in any shape or form.In web development context, "works" usually refers to web sites that you've made, but depending on the kind of thing you're doing, a "portfolio" may include logos, movies, books or anything else you might have created.Also in web development context, a portfolio will usually be a page in your personal web site. In other industries (e.g. logo design) it could also be prints on a paper hanging from your office.The design of the portfolio itself is irrelevant. It's the contents (the "works") that matter. An awesome content (especially for a known brand) looks good even on a crappy layout.

"Portfolio" means a collection of your past "works" in any shape or form.In web development context, "works" usually refers to web sites that you've made, but depending on the kind of thing you're doing, a "portfolio" may include logos, movies, books or anything else you might have created.Also in web development context, a portfolio will usually be a page in your personal web site. In other industries (e.g. logo design) it could also be prints on a paper hanging from your office.The design of the portfolio itself is irrelevant. It's the contents (the "works") that matters. An awesome content (especially for a known brand) looks good even on a crappy layout.
I have a wrbsite (www.eduardlid.com)! Is it a good idea to make an extra link on the home page called ´portfolio´?

I try these! Where in the PHP and MySQL tutorials should I be?* The contact form is where I would start first. It's pretty easy and good intro to the interaction between HTML/Javascript (for validation), and PHP. * Then make a database of products. Have images for them and make a product gallery. Make it so that a user can select a catagory from a drop down menu, or by clicking on a navigation drop down link, and have it load the gallery based on the value submitted. You could even try and incorporate AJAX into the process to have the image galleies change without forcing the page to refresh. This is good step towards learning the interaction between all the web languges, both front and back end.* Then create the a login page using SESSION. A client can login to it, and manage/edit some basic product details and info, run reports, etc. This would be a good add-on that you could sell to clients.* Third party API's. At this point you should feel confident enough to try and incorporate some third party API's. some one's to consider are: Facebook, Twitter, Google Maps, Paypal.
I think you'd be better of starting off at the beginning and reading your way through. If you had done that, you would at least be familiar with the location of these topics, I reckon. no offense, it doesn't bode well (in my mind) that you aren't very proactive in finding answers to your own questions. A lot of programming requires being able to thing outside the box. You can't expect there to be a tutorial for any possible thing you might need to make. You should consider being a bit more proactive in your desire to learn, experiment, and execute if you really want to make a career out of this.

I have a wrbsite (www.eduardlid.com)! Is it a good idea to make an extra link on the home page called ´portfolio´?
absolutely.

As soon as you have at least one work to add to it - yes. Until then - no. You do NOT want to explicitly show off an empty portfolio.

As soon as you have at least one work to add to it - yes. Until then - no. You do NOT want to explicitly show off an empty portfolio.
well, naturally. :)

Thanks! (of course not!)

absolutely.
So I´ll have my current website (eduardlid.com) and the webpages: ´portfolio´ and ´database´. How do I link the webpages? By HTML?

So I´ll have my current website (eduardlid.com) and the webpages: ´portfolio´ and ´database´. How do I link the webpages? By HTML?
:):) How else do you think?Start experimenting already!!!!!Offtopic://(Note to self: Find a good facepalm icon to add to this forum... I'm starting to need it way too much...) Done.

Archived