It's Live: CyberStream!

Fmdpa

I'm excited to announce that my project is finally online...no, it isn't officially launched yet, but I want you guys to be the first ones to test it. The address is cyberstream.us. Everything on the website right now is dummy data, so feel free to post test comments, etc. I will truncate all of the tables immediately before the website is launched (besides the table that contains users). (done) Any comments regarding security, functionality or presentation are welcome. Thanks!

hey congrats!..:)nice site..i did not chekced all..but i like it....probably in your about.php some problems are occuring...and why did not you log your errors? it is coming in browseri liked the contact page sliding style..and the search sugestion where you had working before..nice to see it working...:)i think you can use some compression in your page to decrease the document size more compression....it would be great.as i am dial up user..it take quite time..best of luck for your site..:)

Thanks for the comment, birbal! I will send my errors to the log once it is officially launched, but since it isn't ready yet, I've left them in the browser. I fixed the "about" page. How long did the page take to load for you?

Is there a reason in particular why the Landscape and Wildlife sections are not filled?Also, I'd suggest some different background color for unapproved comments, and it would be nice if you could display them in the browser even before they are approved (by the use of a cookie perhaps). I wrote the same comment twice because I overlooked the "Your comment is awaiting approval" warning. A different color to the warning (like "red" for example), coupled with a different background to my message would probably have aletered me better.

I will fill all three photo gallery sections before it is officially launched. The current photos are just for testing. I just finished a new watermark, so I may begin to upload photos soon. I'll make the alert message more conspicuous. I have a simple test for approving comments. One of the criterion is that there may be no "words" that contain more than 5 consecutive consonants and/or symbols. Your comment failed that test with "XSS!!!". Yes, I convert HTML tags to their respective entities. Although it is not mentioned in the "post comment" section, you can use basic UBB code like [ b], [ i] and [ u]. Doesn't the comment show up for you? I made it so that any unapproved comments will show up shaded if the IP address of the visitor matches the IP address of the comment poster.edit: I see why the comment wasn't showing up for you. I accidentally inserted the IP address into the DB as an integer. PHP casted the string into the first set of numbers in the IP address. When the comment was fetched, the IP address didn't match yours. I'll fix that.

The now unapproved comments do show up shaded now... but not the newly entered (unchecked) one.BTW, forgot to comment on the overall design... it's excellent by any measures I can think of... then again, I'm not a designer. Still... I like simple and clean, yet sort of fancy designs, and yours strikes right at home.The code is currently invalid though, mostly due to the lack of escaped ampersands in URLs and the use of "/>" self closing tags in an HTML5 DTD... if you ask me, you should switch to XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD, but that's not so important.

Great job! I like your background image but its a bit dark for a nature focused photography site.You sure do like your Opera though :). Maybe in the future you could add a map showing the locations of the photos you took.Keep up the good work!

You sure do like your Opera though
I only use Firefox for several things: FireFTP, Firebug (I've been using Opera Dragonfly a lot lately, though) and testing web pages. Right now, I'm browsing on Opera with 5 tabs open, and it is using less CPU power than Firefox with one tab open. Opera opens quite fast on this computer, but I just spent literally 5 minutes waiting for FF to open (yeah, maybe it's time to think about upgrading...). I've come across a couple web page rendering bugs, but I still think Opera has huge potential. You'd be surprised how I created that background image. I took a picture of tree bark and then used the "emboss" filter in gimp. With a little lighting adjustment, that is what I came up with. Thanks for the comment. I'll look into lightening it. Boen, I'm working on fixing that error. In the process, I'm finding other bugs. I fixed the problem with the italic UBB tag. For some reason, the previous RegEx didn't like when an "i" followed the tag immediately. That problem should be history now, however. I still haven't pin-pointed the IP address problem. It wasn't what I thought. The code works on localhost, but not online.

Thanks for the comment, birbal! I will send my errors to the log once it is officially launched, but since it isn't ready yet, I've left them in the browser. I fixed the "about" page. How long did the page take to load for you?
dont count my loading time..i am in slowest computer with slowest conection...:) even this forum give me pain sometime to get loaded..actually my point was that if you have chance to decrease your pages volume..so why not to implement that.

The site itself looks fantastic! I think it looks great with the dark background. It fits in well with the theme of the website, IMO.Couple errors though:On the home page, the landscape link points to the wildlife page.You have four validation errors using the w3 validator. One is a duplicate action attribute on your form tag (the second is supposed to be method, I believe), one is for unescaped spaces in one of your file names, and the other two are for unescaped & symbols.

Thanks for your thoughts, ShadowMage. Are you sure about the link on the index page? I tried it myself, and it led to the correct page. I'll check into those validation errors. Someone recently mentioned that their page wasn't working in a certain browser. I validated it at W3C and there were over 500 errors and 30+ warnings. Validation is definitely important! :)Boen, the comment post should be working now.

Birbal, I already have implemented compression unfortunately (it won't get faster unless I remove some content). It does take a while to load the pages, but once they are loaded the largest things (navigation bar image, backround image) are already cached in most browsers.

Are you sure about the link on the index page? I tried it myself, and it led to the correct page.
This is the link I'm referring to:Welcome to CyberStream! On this website, you can browse through Alaskan nature images. They are split into three categories. Landscape, wildlife and that other category. If you enjoy my photos, feel free to mention CyberStream to your friends!

I use Google Chrome and it's too big for my computer screen. The 'C', at the beginning of 'cyberstream.us' at the top-left doesn't completely.Also, and this is completely my opinion, the email and password boxes at the login box are off. It looks a bit weird.Clicking on Blog gives a header-already-sent warning error.

Thanks for your input, Gyohdon. I'll move the login box up a bit. The background is one of the most problematic parts of the website. I just can't figure out a universal fix for making a screen-filling background image. I have a feeling the problem is not with Chrome, but the proportions of your monitor. What dimensions are your screen (check your system properties under the "resolution" tab, for XP)? On my current monitor (1280 x 1024), it fills the screen perfectly. On my widescreen monitor there is a black gap on both sides of the image. Maybe if I aligned the image to the left, and faded it out to black on the right side it would work better...The error on the Blog page will disappear once I make a blog post.

1024 * 768. Pretty small, but my computer is a bit old.Can't you put the body and image-width on 100%? That way it should fill the entire screen, right?

I think one way to compensate for wider monitors is to either make the background image extra wide, so it will scale nicely with smaller and wider screens, or make the left and right edges of the site a background image that can tile gracefully, to help fill up the extra space instead of having to stretch out the image, or make it's file size to big because you're trying to accomodate really wide monitors.

background-size is supported in all modern browsers (IE9 and above; all others)... use that. Anyone who has a giant monitor is likely to have a good computer and therefore have Windows 7... they'll soon have IE9 too.

Thanks for the replies. I was not aware of the background-size property. I'll definitely use it. Gyohdon, for some reason 100% doesn't work the way I want it to. Once I aligned the image to the left and faded it out on the right it looked much better. I'll get it online later today.

background-size is supported in all modern browsers (IE9 and above; all others)... use that. Anyone who has a giant monitor is likely to have a good computer and therefore have Windows 7... they'll soon have IE9 too.
That's a miserable modifier what I do is just build my site around a minimum resolution usually 1024 *768. Anything smaller is already a pain to look at.

Before I try the background-size property, how does the updated background image look?
I think it would look better if it were centered and have it fade out on both sides. It just looks kinda out of place when the webpage content is centered and the background sticks to the left. (especially on a 1920x1080 :))I think you can use background-position to stick it in the center. For instance, background-position: center top;

Archived