Help with external sheets linking

reportingsjr

Im making a website with a few pages and didnt want to do the style over and over again and I tried linking.How do I do it!!the code for my style sheet is:

<head><title></title><style type="text/css"><!--body {        font-size: 12pt; font-family: Times,Times new roman;        background-color: #000000;        color: #FFFFFF;     }table {       cellpadding: 0px;      }--></style></head>

my link is:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="\main.css">

If I am coding the style sheet wrong how do I code it? yes, they are in the same folder and my style sheet is saved as .css.help appriciated!Edit: thanks Little Goat, I got it now but check last post.

the correct way to make your css a valid external css file:

body { font-size: 12pt; font-family: Times,Times new roman; background-color: #000000; color: #FFFFFF;    }table {      cellpadding: 0px;     }

in other words, don't put html tags in your css.you only need to put what is inbetween the style tags and inside the comment.LG

Ohhh, I got you. so you only need the css and nothing else. Thanks! Ill try this once I get home =]. Plus, this will make my website files much smaller. One more thing, How would I make a footed file or a header file and just put in like a link so that way it shows every time. I remember seeing something like this somewhere and I forgot where and how. I want to know this because I have a link bar and I would like to put it in every page without having to do all the coding I have to. Thanks Little Goat!

you can use xml data islands, <xml> tag works in IE, but I'm not sure what to do in other browsers.(see my signature :) ) search xml data islands on w3schools.com and see what comes up.LG