Table?

eduard

The error is here:

if(mysql_query($sql,$con));{echo 'Table created';};else{die('Could not create table: ' . mysql_error());}

There are 2 semicolons that shouldn't be there. One is on the first line, and one is before the else. Neither of them belong there. The first one tells PHP that the if statement is this:if(mysql_query($sql,$con));Just that. That says that if mysql_query was true.. do nothing. The semicolon stops it from doing anything else, so PHP considers it an error when it gets to the else and sees that it's not attached to any if. That code is the same as this:

if(mysql_query($sql,$con)){  // do nothing}{// this will always run, it is not part of the ifecho 'Table created';};else // error, because the else is not attached to an if{die('Could not create table: ' . mysql_error());}

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally managed, but I don´t like it! I copied and paste the tutorial. Now I am going to compare these 2.

What do you mean you don't like it! Hello we are not shopping for shoes here! Remember your are learning through trial an error, at this point a run without error messages should put a big smile on your face.

What do you mean you don't like it! Hello we are not shopping for shoes here! Remember your are learning through trial an error, at this point a run without error messages should put a big smile on your face.
I know! But trial an error 4 days? At this moment I am fed up of semi coloms!

You also use exclamation points a lot, it always looks like you're yelling at us. Get used to semicolons, you'll see them a lot in code. If you were actually selling your services doing this stuff, you would need to be able to find and fix basic errors like that. It's also time to get friendly with quotes, parentheses, square brackets, and curly brackets.

Learning can be a lot of trial and error at the beginning. There was a lot of trial and error when I was learning PHP. I've learned to appreciate errors (sometimes I actually wish my code produced errors so I could figure out problems).

Here are a few hints to get help you get accustomed to them:semicolons( ; ) ----> In C syntax languages (C, C++, PHP, Java) semicolons are used to tell the interpreter/compiler (turns your code into machine instructions) that this is the end of a statement:
echo "Hello Web";

curly brackets({})----> These group statements into blocks, like your if,then, else blocks. You don't need to put a semicolon after a brace because the interpreter/compiler understands that this is a block.

//This wont work in Java but in Php it is legal{   echo "Hello Web";}

parenthesis(())----> Contain expressions which are evaluated for instance:

//(2+2) will be evaluated to 4 or true as it is not 0.

commas(,) ----> These separate variables like: var1, var2 ,var3 so you can operate on them together:

var1,var2,var3 = var4;

Also don't frustrate yourself over the time it takes you to figure your code out. As the guys here have expressed over and over again developing and coding can't be mastered by rushing it all down at once. You need to take it piece by piece or you will choke. I appreciate this a lot because it happened to me when I started off.

You also use exclamation points a lot, it always looks like you're yelling at us. Get used to semicolons, you'll see them a lot in code. If you were actually selling your services doing this stuff, you would need to be able to find and fix basic errors like that. It's also time to get friendly with quotes, parentheses, square brackets, and curly brackets.
I´ll think about it! Yes, I don´t like them now because they cause me a lot of frustration! I don´t know if this will change!

Here are a few hints to get help you get accustomed to them:semicolons( ; ) ----> In C syntax languages (C, C++, PHP, Java) semicolons are used to tell the interpreter/compiler (turns your code into machine instructions) that this is the end of a statement:
echo "Hello Web";

curly brackets({})----> These group statements into blocks, like your if,then, else blocks. You don't need to put a semicolon after a brace because the interpreter/compiler understands that this is a block.

//This wont work in Java but in Php it is legal{   echo "Hello Web";}

parenthesis(())----> Contain expressions which are evaluated for instance:

//(2+2) will be evaluated to 4 or true as it is not 0.

commas(,) ----> These separate variables like: var1, var2 ,var3 so you can operate on them together:

var1,var2,var3 = var4;

Also don't frustrate yourself over the time it takes you to figure your code out. As the guys here have expressed over and over again developing and coding can't be mastered by rushing it all down at once. You need to take it piece by piece or you will choke. I appreciate this a lot because it happened to me when I started off.

Thanks very much!

Learning can be a lot of trial and error at the beginning. There was a lot of trial and error when I was learning PHP. I've learned to appreciate errors (sometimes I actually wish my code produced errors so I could figure out problems).
Thanks very much!

I´ll think about it! Yes, I don´t like them now because they cause me a lot of frustration! I don´t know if this will change!
it better, because this part of learning to program. Programming languages are just what they are; languages. All languages have rules, structures, and ways of doing things that may differ between them, however it is just the way it is. Semi-colons and curly braces are just the basics. In a written language, that would be roughly equivalent to making sure you remembrer to punctuate. You still have to learn about nouns, verbs, and adjectives. As we've said this stuff doesn't come to people over night. It takes years to master anything, even a couple of years just to know it well. I know you are learning, but if you are going to stress yourself out during this process, you will offend people trying to help you and you will make the process even harder on yourself, at your own expense. This is the basics, learn it now and appreciate the errors, it's certainly better than having a blank screen and not knowing what was going on at all.

it better, because this part of learning to program. Programming languages are just what they are; languages. All languages have rules, structures, and ways of doing things that may differ between them, however it is just the way it is. Semi-colons and curly braces are just the basics. In a written language, that would be roughly equivalent to making sure you remembrer to punctuate. You still have to learn about nouns, verbs, and adjectives. As we've said this stuff doesn't come to people over night. It takes years to master anything, even a couple of years just to know it well. I know you are learning, but if you are going to stress yourself out during this process, you will offend people trying to help you and you will make the process even harder on yourself, at your own expense. This is the basics, learn it now and appreciate the errors, it's certainly better than having a blank screen and not knowing what was going on at all.
I think which I didn´t like (programming) I have to like! Also it´s a fact that I´ve learned a lot (about myself!)!

Frankly, if you don't like programming then you probably aren't going to be very successful at it. I've enjoyed programming since my first classes that taught it. Some things can get a little tedious but it's a creative activity, not just a job you do. It's the same with painting, for example. If you don't like painting, you're probably not going to be a very good painter.

Frankly, if you don't like programming then you probably aren't going to be very successful at it. I've enjoyed programming since my first classes that taught it. Some things can get a little tedious but it's a creative activity, not just a job you do. It's the same with painting, for example. If you don't like painting, you're probably not going to be a very good painter.
Philosophical.

I totally agree with you! However, in life you have to make choices! You can´t do all the time what you like or you can´t always chose the girlfriend you first wish!For me could be a motivation that all problems have a solution (except death). Therefore I never give up! My great example is Jacques Anquetil (French ciclist ´50 previous century. When they said to him ´you can´t, he said ´I can´ and so I am!

Archived