New Trailside Website

cousineaug

OkI am no longer a newbie :-)I have learned much on my short time here so far. Thanks to those who by helping others have helped me learn something.I am ready to ask for critiques of my website. We have a small business and we redesign our website every 1-2 years...maybe that is not such a good thing to change the look, but we find we cannot just keep on putting band-aids on what we thought was a nice layout 2 years ago.I made a few mistakes - no apologies - started with the wrong page template and made the design more complicated than it needs to be...next project - clean up the code.see the current version and let me know what you think.Thanks in advance......Guy

I like the colors.A good rule of thumb. Large type, like for <h> elements, tend to look better in a sans-serif font.Nothing personal, but I really dislike the hover effect on your menu. The horizontal and vertical jumps are very annoying. (I'm testing this in Firefox.)

Thanks dad :)I've been thinking of changing fonts...perhaps for <h> is a good compromise. I've read that screen fonts should be sans serif and paper should be serif...but I don't believe it. I still like my glyphs. But on larger fonts, sans serif is likely very good.as for the menu hover effects I am looking for a font style change that will have the same HEIGHT and WIDTH as the default and likely none do so I may just have to give up on it. I too find the jumping annoying.FF does not yet support border-radius - menu buttons are oval in other browsers but same jumping.thanks for the feedback...Guy

as for the menu hover effects I am looking for a font style change that will have the same HEIGHT and WIDTH as the default and likely none do so I may just have to give up on it. I too find the jumping annoying.FF does not yet support border-radius - menu buttons are oval in other browsers but same jumping.
You could set them inline-block and fix their dimensions. Unless you are continually changing/updating the nav bar, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.I personally find font changes annoying too, though. :)As for border-radius, FireFox does support it. You just need to use the -moz prefix:-moz-border-radius: 20px;

I think the "rule" about not using serif fonts in body text came about when screen resolutions were not so high (640x480), displays had fewer colors, and anti-aliasing was less good. So take it with a pinch of salt. OTOH, fonts like Trebuchet MS have smaller serifs, so they make a good compromise for some pages.

You could set them inline-block and fix their dimensions. Unless you are continually changing/updating the nav bar, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.I personally find font changes annoying too, though. :)As for border-radius, FireFox does support it. You just need to use the -moz prefix:-moz-border-radius: 20px;
two great suggestions. I had read about -moz but wanted to keep all my code "one-way"...but I added it for compatibility, does not seem to interfere with other browsers.The inline block worked great - even simplified the CSS associated with the menu - highlighting the lane we are in - Menu blocks are fixed width and no, their names will not change so I won't have to recalculate too often :-) You may have to reload the page 2-3 times to see the new effect. I also put in sans-serif "just for now" for all H elements...btw I saw somewhere how to target all H in one command but I have lost the reference.I will check with the wife (who is boss for appearance stuff) to find a font or 2 or three she likes better than the default ss.Guy

This site really needs a tutorial for handling spouses/partners. :)
Thta's easy I squash big bugsI carry heavy thingsand I make the miracles happen in web designThe wife has all the creative talent, business sense, etc....remember 3 phrases that will save your marriageI'm sorryYou were rightIt's my fault

Archived