Explain nr 3?

eduard

Actually, all of this IS listed on the internet already, one good thing with all these posts for eduardchile, is that it has place him top of google search for "Explain nr 3?" or "eduardchile", which is usually good, but in this case maybe NOT so good.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, all of this IS listed on the internet already, one good thing with all these posts for eduardchile, is that it has place him top of google search for "Explain nr 3?" or "eduardchile", which is usually good, but in this case maybe NOT so good.
:)http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=...b48774d4519ce9cit's funny cause it's true.I wasn't sure if people could see it or if they had to be members of the forum. Guess it don't matter anymore. :)

now you're just outright lying.http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...c=36473&hl=http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...c=35938&hl=http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...c=35996&hl=http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...c=35592&hl=I don't what else there is to do for you. you've been given everything you need to accomplish the question you asked in post 1 (albeit 200 posts later...). complete working examples were written for you because you couldn't follow the tutorials. Ironically, what you've been taught is almost exactly what was in the tutorials. I don't what know else any of us can do for you after this point.Just out of curiosity, what exactly does someone have to do to teach you something? You been coddled and spoon fed, so I'm pretty interested to know what one can do if even that has failed. What more could you ask of us at this point? what are you expecting from us, because clearly nothing is working for you...
I never lie (I´m not a chilean) and I wrote several times what the solution is! Not like this! As I asked before-because I haven´t much time!-I need 1 or 2 persons at a time-not 4 or 5-who can help me to get through (like your strategy and that is ´post 1´) So I won´t be frustrated that much and neither do you!Not 4 or more persons!P. s. If notthing works for me I hadn´t come this far (although it takes a long time! In some weeks you´ll understand why!)

I´ve decided I go back to the beginning (?) of php, because it doesn´t work this way! Also I´m more relaxed now (probably because I use now a walker and not my wheelchair (outside) anymore!Question 1:When do yo use: ;, ()), {}, [], !, ", ., _, etc. Please, write me where I can find them in the tutorials, but I prefer some decent examples?

I´ve decided I go back to the beginning (?) of php, because it doesn´t work this way! Also I´m more relaxed now (probably because I use now a walker and not my wheelchair (outside) anymore!Question 1:When do yo use: ;, ()), {}, [], !, ", ., _, etc. Please, write me where I can find them in the tutorials, but I prefer some decent examples?
brother...it's arguably easier to just read the tutorials and learn the syntax from the ground up rather then individual symbols and characters without any context but, since you don't like to read the tutorials, I'm not sure if that would help much. but here goes...semi-colon ; - ends EVERY 'line' in PHP. Tells the compiler that it has reached the end of a statement/line.
$myVar = 12;

parenthesis () - has a lot of uses. can be used as in grouping mathematical operations for precedence, enclosing the conditions for if/else statements, when calling functions, etc.

$myVar = ((2 . 4) * 1);if($myVar == 6){  echo 'myVar equals 6';};

curly braces {} - used to define scope in functions or for grouping blocks of statements in if/else conditions (see previous example).http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_functions.asp

function myFunction(){  echo 'this is myFunction';};

brackets [] - used when working with arrays; numerical or associative.http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_arrays.asp

$cars[0] = "saab";$cars[1] = "volvo";$cars[2] = "ford";

exclamation ! - used when checking for inequality

if(3 != 4){echo 'three is not equal to four';};

quotes " or ' - are used to enclose strings, and depending on the kind used, will interpolate variables, which I won't bother discussing here.

$string1 = "my string1";$string2 = 'my string2';

period . - in PHP is used for addition/string concatenation

$myVar = 1 . 2;  //equals three$string1 = 'hello, my name is ';$string2 = 'peter';echo $string1 . $string2; //output 'hello, my name is peter'

underscore _ - not significantly used in PHPThese are just examples though. As has been pointed out examples are just meant to act as proof of concept. Programming involves more complications that you can possibly imagine at this point, so you main objective it just to understand the basics. It might be really helpful for you to get a book, and spend time practicing even the most trivial of examples. A great poster on here once had a great quote in his sig of another great poster on this board

If programming were simple, you would see a lot more woman and children doing it.
what it really boils down to is you just need to learn the syntax and the basic rules/conventions of programming languages in general. PHP is not that different from other languages (like say Javascript) except that variables start with a $ and you use period for addition instead of the plus sign (+).It may fall on deaf ears, but really, this is where you need to be right now. http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.aspAnd with your skill level, I would be spending a couple of days minimum with each chapter, getting the examples to work, and then trying to modify them on your own to really get comfortable with it. It will get you familiar with the concepts of programming in general, which is just as important to learning as the actual code you write.

brother...it's arguably easier to just read the tutorials and learn the syntax from the ground up rather then individual symbols and characters without any context but, since you don't like to read the tutorials, I'm not sure if that would help much. but here goes...semi-colon ; - ends EVERY 'line' in PHP. Tells the compiler that it has reached the end of a statement/line.
$myVar = 12;

parenthesis () - has a lot of uses. can be used as in grouping mathematical operations for precedence, enclosing the conditions for if/else statements, when calling functions, etc.

$myVar = ((2 . 4) * 1);if($myVar == 6){  echo 'myVar equals 6';};

curly braces {} - used to define scope in functions or for grouping blocks of statements in if/else conditions (see previous example).http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_functions.asp

function myFunction(){  echo 'this is myFunction';};

brackets [] - used when working with arrays; numerical or associative.http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_arrays.asp

$cars[0] = "saab";$cars[1] = "volvo";$cars[2] = "ford";

exclamation ! - used when checking for inequality

if(3 != 4){echo 'three is not equal to four';};

quotes " or ' - are used to enclose strings, and depending on the kind used, will interpolate variables, which I won't bother discussing here.

$string1 = "my string1";$string2 = 'my string2';

period . - in PHP is used for addition/string concatenation

$myVar = 1 . 2;  //equals three$string1 = 'hello, my name is ';$string2 = 'peter';echo $string1 . $string2; //output 'hello, my name is peter'

underscore _ - not significantly used in PHPThese are just examples though. As has been pointed out examples are just meant to act as proof of concept. Programming involves more complications that you can possibly imagine at this point, so you main objective it just to understand the basics. It might be really helpful for you to get a book, and spend time practicing even the most trivial of examples. A great poster on here once had a great quote in his sig of another great poster on this boardwhat it really boils down to is you just need to learn the syntax and the basic rules/conventions of programming languages in general. PHP is not that different from other languages (like say Javascript) except that variables start with a $ and you use period for addition instead of the plus sign (+).It may fall on deaf ears, but really, this is where you need to be right now. http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.aspAnd with your skill level, I would be spending a couple of days minimum with each chapter, getting the examples to work, and then trying to modify them on your own to really get comfortable with it. It will get you familiar with the concepts of programming in general, which is just as important to learning as the actual code you write.

Thanks very much! But isn´t this possible to explain it in plain english and NOT in programing language?´I´m going now to the URL.

Thanks very much! But isn´t this possible to explain it in plain english and NOT in programing language?´
How else are we supposed to illustrate how to write the syntax, if not by using "programming language"?

what the heck man, what do you want from us, really? you asked for examples, that's what I gave you; an explanation in plain english and then an example. How else are we supposed to illustrate a programming language to you? I'm not really sure this stuff can be dumbed down any further and I really don't know any other way to try and explain it.

How else are we supposed to illustrate how to write the syntax, if not by using "programming language"?
But there´s a difference in easy, understandable and difficult non-understandable (at least for someone like me!) ´programing language´?What difference? We still have to examine!

I´ve decided I go back to the beginning (?) of php, because it doesn´t work this way!
Thanks very much! But isn´t this possible to explain it in plain english and NOT in programing language?´
352682_o.gifGuys, don't get stressed, relax and be happy.

what the heck man, what do you want from us, really? you asked for examples, that's what I gave you; an explanation in plain english and then an example. How else are we supposed to illustrate a programming language to you? I'm not really sure this stuff can be dumbed down any further and I really don't know any other way to try and explain it.
There are other persons who can help me!

But there´s a difference in easy, understandable and difficult non-understandable (at least for someone like me!) ´programing language´?What difference? We still have to examine!
then tell us what you find "easy". If you think that programming is easy, then maybe you've come here with the wrong intentions. We've thrown everything possible at you in the hopes that you would understand, but nothing works. what exactly are you looking for? what exactly do you expect from the community at large? If you can't figure out the topic we've been covering for the past 12 pages, with multiple people trying to help you (and everyone of them offering good, correct advice, consistent advice) then what do you think is out there that you haven't found? There's no mystery to this that you haven't been shown. You either get it or you don't. But just saying 'I don't understand' does nothing to help anyone. But you don't understand nearly anything anyone tells you, so I have no idea what anyone can do, or what you think people can do that hasn't already been tried. I'm not trying to mean, I've literally run out of way's to think of trying to help you.
There are other persons who can help me!
good luck finding them. The members here aren't slouches, that's for sure. Maybe another forum will yield the answers you are looking for...

The dot operator is not used for addition, only concatenation. This:echo 1 . 2;will output 12, not 3. Addition is only the plus operator.
ah, damn. I thought it looked kinda funny, :)

Eduard, if you really want to learn PHP I recommend you buy and study this book:http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596006815One of the authors is the creator of PHP, and that book is known as being a great intro for people starting with PHP. You should read that book from cover to cover, more than once if necessary, if you really want to learn this stuff as quickly as possible. You may be able to find a copy in Dutch or Spanish if you prefer.For everyone else, please refrain from antagonizing Eduard. I understand people's reasons for doing so, it's just not very helpful for anyone. I'm going to close this topic though, I think this has gone as far as it can. In the future, if you don't want to help with Eduard's questions, just don't respond.

Archived