Host and DNS Discussion

boen_robot

Due to the large amount of topics about different hosting plans, I decided to write them all down here for you to look as a reference. I hope that the moderators will lock future topics about hosts and redirect them to this topic.Note: Please also check the posts below this one. They (may) also contain other hosts that might better serve your needs.If you would like to add a host that is not listed here, please follow this template:

Name: {The name as a link to the host}Price: {Free or commercial? If commercial, tell the price.}Server side scripting(s)/database(s): {The name of the language if any. Also tell, if it's avaiable only in commercial versions of the host}Space: {MBs of space offered. If the host has multiple offeres, devide them somehow(a ";" sign maybe?)}Bandwidth: {MBs of bandwidth for a certain period (normally a month). Again, if multiple offers differ, divide them somehow}Ads: {Describe the type of ads or at least if there are any. Requred link to the site? Pop-ups? Forced ads?}Web adress: {Domain(yourname.com), Subdomain (yourname.example.com), Web directory (example.com/yourname) or what?}Additional Comments: {Optional. Tell your impressions of the host (if any) or describe additional requrements and/or features it has.}
Or for a domain registar:
Name: {The name as a link to the DNS}Price: {Free or commercial? If commercial, tell the price.}Ads: {Describe the type of ads or at least if there are any. Requred link to the site? Pop-ups? Forced ads?}Web adress: {Describe the type of redirection. (Sub)domain (replacing an IP with the specified name) or web redirecter (the name points to another existing domain)}Additional Comments: {Optional. Tell your impressions of the registar (if any) or describe additional requrements and/or features it has.}
Comparrisons and comments are allowed, as long as you have more to say then "Host X sucks. Host Y rules!" for example.Please note that the order of the sites in my post is the one in which I have fond them. PM me (or the moderators?) if you find any errors in the host's descriptions below.And here goes...Hosts:Name: DeluXe HostPrice: FreeServer side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP/MySQLSpace: 100MBBandwidth: 300GBAds: NoWeb adress: web directoryAdditional Comments: There are many restrictions about what site (content) is allowed. The most important one is that only european languages are allowed. Read the FAQ for details. Name: iNeedHosting.netPrice: $3.99/Month; $6.99/Month; $11.99/Month; $20.99/Month;Server side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP, CGI, Perl/5 MySQL databasesSpace: 500MB; 1000MB; 2000MB; 2000MB;Bandwidth: 10GB; 20GB; 40GB; 50GB;Ads: NoWeb adress: domain with up to 25/50/100 subdomainsAdditional Comments: There is also an option for a custom plan with a custom price.Name: iNeedHosting.co.ukPrice: £6.49/Month; £14.95/Month; £98.95/Month;Server side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP, CGI, Perl/MySQLSpace: 200MB; 500MB; 1000MB;Bandwidth: UnlimitedAds: NoWeb adress: domainAdditional Comments: It might seem as the above, but it's actually quite different. It looks kind'a unprofessional in my opinion, but still, detailed enough offers.Name: SiteFlip.comPrice: $11.88/Year; $59.40/Year; $155.40/Year;Server side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP, Perl/Unlimited MySQL databasesSpace: 100MB; 500MB; 2,000MB;Bandwidth: 3GB; 8GB; 15GB;Ads: NoWeb adress: domain with no/5/10 subdomainsAdditional Comments: There is a VERY detailed explanation of the host's features on the site. I personally think that's very attractive.Name: Mind FusionPrice: Free; $4.99/Month; $9.95/Month; Server side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP, CGI, Perl/5; 15; 50 MySQL databasesSpace: (1)50MB (the picture is not synced with the text!); 250MB; 500MB;Bandwidth: 1GB; 2GB; 3GB;Ads: NoWeb adress: subdomain(s)... I'm not sure here actuallyAdditional Comments: Even in this short description you noticed there are things which are not very clear. I would stay away from this site's payed offers if I were you.Name: Crystal TechPrice: Too many different offers to describe. They vary from $2.95 to $399.95Server side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP, CGI, Perl, ASP(.NET), Cold Fusion/MySQL, MSSQL, ODBCSpace: varies from 200MB to whole hard drivesBandwidth: from 5GB to 1000GBAds: NoWeb adress: domainAdditional Comments: It has many options, among which are not so frequently found things such as Cold Fusion and ODBC support. All offers are well detailed. For that at least, it definetly worts the attention.Name: GeoCitiesPrice: Free; $4.95/Month; $8.95/Month;Server side scripting(s)/database(s): No; PHP, Perl/MySQLSpace: 15MB; 500MB; 2GB;Bandwidth: 3GB; 25GB; 100GB;Ads: Yes; NoWeb adress: web directory; domain; domain with up to 5 subdomains;Additional Comments: The free hosting plan sucks. As you can see for yourself, the other free hosts have better plans and with no ads even.Name: RipwayPrice: FreeServer side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP/NoSpace: from 30MB to 400MB (WTF?)Bandwidth: 15MB/dayAds: NoWeb adress: web directory... I thinkAdditional Comments: Sounds good if you can overcome the low bandwidth.Name: Ripside InteractivePrice: $8.50/Month ($4.25 first month); $14.50/Month ($7.25 first month); $24.00/Month ($12.00 first month); $43.00/Month ($21.50 first month); $56.00/Month ($28.00 first month);Server side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP, CGI/3 (with the first two); unlimited (the other offers) MySQL databasesSpace: 250MB; 500MB; 1000MB; 2000MB; 4000MB;Bandwidth: 10MB; 25MB; 50MB; 100MB; 250MB;Ads: NoWeb adress: domainAdditional Comments: That's the host for which Ripway refers for "if you want more" or something. Perhaps they are owned by the same people.Name: BrinksterPrice: Free; $4.95/3 Months; $7.95/3 Months; $17.95/3 Months;;Server side scripting(s)/database(s): ASP(.NET); PHP, ASP(.NET)/MySQL, MS AccesSpace:15MB; 1500MB; 3000MB; 5000MB;Bandwidth: 500MB; 35GB; 75GB; 175GB;Ads: NoWeb adress: Subdomain (I think); domainAdditional Comments: The prices actually vary if you select to pay for a different period. There is both Linux and Windows hosting similarrly to Crystal Tech.Name: FreewebsPrice: FreeServer side scripting(s)/database(s): NoSpace: 40MBBandwidth: 500MBAds: NoWeb adress: web directoryAdditional Comments: Probably the most famous host theese days, but I personally don't like it. Kind'a weird that they say to support SSIs but don't have server side scripting support.Domain name registars (without hosting):Name: dot.tkPrice: Free;Web adress: web redirecterAds: YesAdditional Comments: I don't quite like it, but if you're looking for the shortest free web redirecter possible, that's the way to go.Name: freedns.afraid.orgPrice: FreeAds: NoWeb adress: (Sub)domain or web redirecterAdditional Comments: It has it's features very detailed, though I don't see much to be described in DNS services.Name: freedomain.co.nrPrice: FreeAds: NoWeb adress: web redirecterAdditional Comments: That's the second time I ever see a free DNS after the tk thing. Kind'a weird. I don't know anything else about it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name:Mister.netPrice:Free hosting with $35 for domain name registrationScripting:PHP, mysql, perlSpace:250 MBBandwidth: 5 GBAds: None at allWeb address: personal domain, unlimited SubdomainsAdditional comments: This is good for someone who just wants to get started and don't need a bunch of space.Email accounts: unlimitedLG

Edited by Little Goat

Domain RegistrarsName: Yahoo! Small BusinessPrice: Commercial. $8.95 per year. Special offer to new customers for $2.99 first year, $8.95 years followingAds: noWeb adress: domainAdditional Comments: Yahoo! is a repuatable company. I have not used this service from them but I would recommend them for their first year price for new customersName: GoDaddyPrice: Commercial. $8.95 per year. Ads: noWeb adress: domain or forward, your choiceAdditional Comments: Widely regarded as one of the web's top hosts and registrars. I have a domain with them and have been satisfied with the service and the price. I actually got a "welcome to GoDaddy" telephone call the morning after I purchased the domain.Name: Ipower/IpowerWebPrice: Commercial. $2.95 per year. Ads: noWeb adress: domain or forward, your choiceAdditional Comments: there are a lot of reviews about this registrar, but some seem to be repetitive and uncredible (the good ones). I found a lot of angry customers. Seems to be that if you can stomach the slow registration and manage to change the DNS server to an alternative host, you'll be alright, but if you need a host this does not seem like the way to go.Web Host:Name: PowWeb.comPrice: Commercial: 3 Months for $53.41 OR 1 Year for $93.24 OR 2 Years for $186.48Server side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP4 & PHP5 w/Zend Optimizer, Perl5, Sendmail and multiple MySQL DatabasesSpace: 12 GigBandwidth: 300 Gigs per monthAds: noneWeb adress: free domain included in purchase/setupAdditional Comments: Yeah, sounds good right? These are probably the best prices in town, but the support is poor. Also, your free domain is a one-year registration, and the hosting lasts for a year and half... draw your own conclusion there. I've read some bad reviews for PowWeb, and I wish I'd found them before I got their service over a year ago. The service was down a lot for a while, but it seems to be working now. I think they've improved, but I don't think I would use them again.

I was thinking about it, but technically speaking, it's not a critical feature you should base your host choise on. Not to mention that not every free host has any emails. Also, if you add numbers, there will also arise the question for the space of the mail and other mail features. It's going into a different area.But add your own details if you have some of course. More is better when it comes to hosts :) . It's just that I wanted the topic to cover only things that one should really consider when making a deision for the host, limit him/herself to fewer hosts that suit the needs and look in detail their offers.By the way, the hosts you read in my first posts were from the General and Suggestion forums. Now I'll also write down some I found in the PHP forum:Name: siteburg.comPrice: FreeServer side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP, CGI, Perl/MySQLSpace: 100MBBandwidth: 10GBAds: YesWeb adress: subdomainAdditional Comments: It's not that much, but it's also not bad for a free offer. Name: AvagaPrice: $3.99/2 Years; $7.19/2 Years; $19.99/2 Years;Server side scripting(s)/database(s): No; PHP, CGI/No; MySQLSpace: 200MB; 500MB; 1,000MB;Bandwidth: 25GB; 50GB; 100GB;Ads: NoWeb adress: domainAdditional Comments: The paid version of siteburg.com. Not very clear. Of what I see, it seems the free offer has advantages. Haha.Name: RoxrPrice: FreeServer side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP/5 MySQL databasesSpace: 150MBBandwidth: 15,360MBAds: YesWeb adress: subdomainAdditional Comments: Interesting offer, but very plain. I was hoping for more details.Name: cjb.ccPrice: Free; $3/MonthServer side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP/NoSpace: 50MB; 250MB;Bandwidth: 1GB; 5GBAds: Yes; NoWeb adress: subdomainAdditional Comments: Again, very plain. In fact- waay too plain.

Another simmilar site, provided kindly by Chocolate570:http://findmyhosting.com/I guess we would also write hosting portals/resellers/comparers/whatever here as well :) .

well , maybe I ' m in wrong place :) , tell me about Bandwidth: Unlimited what its mean ? thanks and I like Dhost ... :)

If you look at the host's offers in detail, you'll see the other name for bandwidth is "traffic". So, in other words: bandwidth is the amount of data which the host lets you download.For example, if you have html files and maybe some small graphics with total size of 1MB and you know you have 20 users who browse all of them each day, this means... 20users*1MB*30days=600MB of montly bandwidth. If the host says you have 15MB of bandwidth for a day, this practically makes your pages useless for the last 5 people. I mean, look at the difference for yourself. If you waste your bandwidth, your site becomes inaccesable (turned off if you'd like) until the period (in our case: the day, but it's most often the month) expries.When the bandwidth is unlimited, this means you don't have to calculate how much data would be downloaded. The host will let all users browse the page all the time, scince it doesn't have such restriction.

It doesn't matter actually. What matters is the amount of data that all of them get from the site. In the example above, it's easier to imagine the things if they browse one by one, but if they were browsing at the same time, this would still cost the same bandwidth, because it's about amount, not time.Example for even easier understanding: imagine you have a big bottle of water (for example). You can put several straws in it, so several people can drink from it, but even if they drink one by one or simultaneously, none of them would be able to drink after the water is out.But what if they were all drinking from the sink? There are no predefined amounts as with the bottle and they can all drink as much as they want to.

Nice analogy :)Name: BravehostPrice: Free, $4.95, $6.95Server side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP/MySQLSpace: 50MB, 1000MB, 5000MBBandwidth: 1.5GB, 30GB, 100GB (metered on daily basis)Ads: YesWeb adress: http://yournamehere.bravehost.com/Additional Comments: Lots of free tools, guestbook, forum, hitcounter, templates, forms, clipart.....

I think as credible as other threads on other forums may be, we can also trust our own members' opinions about web hosts and registrars. Perhaps, though, when a credible web site or forum thread similar to this one is found, the URI should be put in the first post.

Name: The DCole ServerPrice: FreeServer side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP, Perl, Python, ASP / MySQLSpace: not setBandwidth: No restricted.Ads: NoWeb adress: http://dcole.ath.cx/SITE, http://SITE.dcole.ath.cx, You can redirect any URL to the server and your folderAdditional Comments: About to have in a week WYSIWYG editor, IIS website creater (redirect URLs on own), FTP access to edit files, Personal Messaging. Great Support, question get answer in less than a day, some times in minutes. 99.97% uptime. Were open to ideas!

Domain Name Registrar:wow, to think the one who started it all has been left out:Name: Network SolutionsPrice: $35 per year.Ads: neverWeb adress: http://www.networksolutions.comAdditional Comments: Network Solutions,beginning in 1979 was the first and only domain name registrar until 1999. This is the most reliable (an expensive) registrar to use. But, when the customer is footing the bill, it is the only one I ever use. My personal ones are with godaddy.com and my clients are with networksolutions.com. They added hosting services in 2003 but I would never recommend using the registrar as your hosting service and vice versa - trust me, I've been there just don't do it.re: http://about-networksolutions.com/corporate-history.php

Those hosts that have free offers yet no ads. Why do they do it for free if they aren't making money elsewhere?If they do domains, does that mean you get to upload your pages to your own chosen address with no interference from them unlike GeoCities?

Those hosts that have free offers yet no ads.  Why do they do it for free if they aren't making money elsewhere?If they do domains, does that mean you get to upload your pages to your own chosen address with no interference from them unlike GeoCities?

Free hosters usually win with the derictory or subdomain they give you. When a user goes to your site, he/she is sure to see that your site is hosted at their site. He would then go to the main page where the ads are standing. The ads are then doing the work.Well of course they don't interfere. You are paying after all. It's in your right to stop paying them if they do interfere, so they'll never do that as long as you pay and obay the previously given rules if any. If there are any rules, they would rely on abuse reports, not on monitoring.If by "chosen adress" you mean hot linking (getting resources from other domains), it depends. Some hosts don't allow such thing but if they don't they'll let you know it. Most (all?) payed hosts do allow such thing though. Some even offer "hot link protection" which means that unauthorized domains won't be able to adress your resources directly.

boen-robot , could you help me with this question , that maybe old but I didn't notice it before :) for example , I have a forum named www.something.ipbfree.com so ... how can i change it to www.something.com , thanks !!!

Get the desired domain name and a host, then install IPB on it. As far as I know ipbfree.com doesn't allow you to backup the forum's database, so you'll have to start all over again.Another solution would be to use a domain redirecter. Register the desired domain and tell it to go to the existing domain I mean.

• 2 weeks later...
Name: The DCole ServerPrice: FreeServer side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP, Perl, Python, ASP / MySQLSpace: not setBandwidth: No restricted.Ads: NoWeb adress: http://dcole.ath.cx/SITE, http://SITE.dcole.ath.cx, You can redirect any URL to the server and your folderAdditional Comments: About to have in a week WYSIWYG editor, IIS website creater (redirect URLs on own), FTP access to edit files, Personal Messaging. Great Support, question get answer in less than a day, some times in minutes. 99.97% uptime. Were open to ideas!

hey Dcole, where you said web adress didnt you mean to have http://SITE.ath.cx/ insted of http://SITE.dcole.ath.cx? If you didnt know i am hosted by dcole.ath.cx. I wouldnt say the uptime is 99.97% anymore. the ip to his site changes occasionialy so if you have the http://Site.ath.cx option you have to update you ip on dyndns.com. and lol dan just lost lots of data upgrading his server. good thing he has old backups.

• 4 weeks later...

Name Unnatural FusionCost FreeSpace 50GB or soEmail accounts unlimitedAds noContent restriction noneWeb address unnaturalfusion.com email kasper@unnaturalfusion.com about hostingComments Well, it's free and it's my home computer but as a big thank you to W3Schools I'm offering free hosting off of it. I can host your domain or give you a folder or subdomain of my domain. Name might be changing to robofrance.com soon, so watch out. And it's a linux machine so I have php/perl/mysql/.htaccess files etc but no .Net applications, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
banner02.gifhdr_logo.jpgssn2.gifbanner01.gifName: LunarpagesPrice: $6.95;$7.95Server side scripting(s)/database(s): UNLIMITED MySQL DatabaseSpace: Up To 5000 Megabytes StorageBandwidth: 400 Gigabytes Data Transfer Ads: NoneWeb adress: lunarpages.comAdditional Comments: i have 2 domains hosted with them, and i am quite satisfied with their service and customer support.