Host and DNS Discussion

boen_robot

What do you mean if you look carefully? Domains are organized into levels. The highest is a top-level domain name (TLD), those are the domains like .com, .org, .uk, .nr, whatever. When you type a URL in the browser checks with the root server for the TLD, so there are servers that handle all requests for .com or .mil or whatever the TLD is. There is a server for .nr that forwards requests to the second domain name. Since the US sort of claimed the .com TLD the second-level domain name for .com domains is the domain you buy. With a TLD like .nr, whoever controls .nr (apparently the island of Nauru, which controls edu.nr, gov.nr, biz.nr, info.nr, net.nr, org.nr, and com.nr) controls the server that handles .nr domains. A Russian company bought the co.nr domain, and they are offering subdomains under their co.nr domain. There is even a Wikipedia article about them.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, but then you can't get a domain like .co.uk for free, can you? Is .co.uk technically a subdomain?

• 4 weeks later...

Web HostName: WebNGPrice: FreeServer Side Scripting: SSI, ASP, DynamicHTML; Database: Microsoft AccessSpace: 100MB (earn more)Bandwidth: 10GB/month (earn more)Ads: NoneWeb Address: Subdomain or web directory (your choice)Addition Comments: Very good service.if you want to sign up, please do it via this address instead of the signup button on the homepage, because it helps me earn more bandwidth/disk space :)Domain RegistrationName: TipdotsPrice: FreeAds: NoneWeb Address: Web RedirecterAdditional Comments: It's a german site which has been translated, and the translation isn't very good.

does anyone know, is it possible 2 get a .com or .co.uk top-level domain for free

Probably not. ICANN is the group that you need to buy the domain name from (maybe through someone else), and they charge money for it. So you would only find one for free if someone else was willing to pay for it, because ICANN does not assign domain names for free.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Name: A-Plus.netPrice: $5.95 - $26.21 /Dedicated: $99.99 - $269.99Server side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP ASP MySQL Databases (1-10 Depends on plan)Space: Shared: 500MB-190GB/Dedicated: 250-500GB Bandwidth: Shared: 40GB-2500GB/Dedicated: 1000GB-1500GBAds: NoneWeb adress: Domain Name included with signupAdditional Comments: Awesome, reliable, they have too many features on the cp to count, and great customer service. Usually if I have an issue I can talk to CS over a live chat which is much easier than calling. The only downside is the # of databases available.

• 2 months later...

hi every bodyi wanna ask about the big hosts that i found when search in netthese sites give huge storage with little money, like 400 GIGA with nearly 6$ or 600 GIGA with nealry 8$ and, i wanna ask are these sites good or bad, and what is ur opnion?examples:www.palmhost.comwww.hostgator.combye

I'm about as sure as I can be, I use hostgator. I haven't done a survey of all of their customers or anything, but they've given me what I've paid for. You should be able to find host ratings and reviews online if you want other opinions.

and why lke these sites give huge amount by little money in oppsite the other site host?
I don't know, either they oversell or they bought a lot of equipment for a low price.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello every one!This is my first question in this forum, wow! Who says it’ll be about this!Now, after reading all the posts here I’m a little bit confused :) . I want to change my web hosting provider, mine is not good, but I have few newbie questions.Does it matter if the web hosting is in another country?Among all of the web hosting providers that I got from this thread in this forum, I like http://www.hostgator.com/http://dreamhost.com/http://www.lunarpages.com/http://www.awardspace.com/All of them are out of my country. I just can’t decide for which one to choose. Any sugestion?

Whatever you hear from anyone, take it with a grain of salt, as every opinion is personal. It's hard to make an objective opinion about hosts. I haven't used any host from this topic, so I won't reccomend anyone. The ones I have used are either my own PCs, or free crappy hosts I've used only because of the subdomain they give (like hit.bg for example).But no. It doesn't matter that much if the host is not from your country. It makes a difference ONLY if you get robbed. If they're in your country, you can make the police take them out. If not, it will be much harder. But this applies only to fakes. A true, legitimate host, like any of the ones here that have at least one person to reccomend them, won't be robbing you, so this is not a concern here.The other plus is you can go pay directly, instead of using a credit card. This saves you the transaction fees a bank will have. But if you live on the other part of the country, the fuel costs will be larger than the bank fee, so if you choose a host from your country, make it be from your town too.

But no. It doesn't matter that much if the host is not from your country. It makes a difference ONLY if you get robbed. If they're in your country, you can make the police take them out. If not, it will be much harder. But this applies only to fakes. A true, legitimate host, like any of the ones here that have at least one person to reccomend them, won't be robbing you, so this is not a concern here.
Thank you for your quick reply. I’m going to take in consideration that.
The other plus is you can go pay directly, instead of using a credit card. This saves you the transaction fees a bank will have. But if you live on the other part of the country, the fuel costs will be larger than the bank fee, so if you choose a host from your country, make it be from your town too.
I got one from my country. The problem is the service, it is really pour and all of them are resellers.

• 4 weeks later...

This is all well and good, but what are your PERSONAL experiences with these hosts? I'm leary of anything 'free'. Nothing is free. 'Free' probably means you'll be carrying banners or Google adsense whether you like it or not. I intend to do a lot of streaming, both video and podcasts. Therefor, I need a lot of bandwidth, but not only do I need bandwidth, I need clear, uninterrupted bandwidth. In other words, no lag. This probably means I need a dedicated server. In general (I'm guessing here), stay away from hosts that adverstise "we host x thousand websites". These are probably slow. I'm guessing again, but I estimate that 30 Gb of space and 750 Gb of bandwidth/mo is what I need. I need PHP and Javascript, and am not sure that I need mySQL, but probably do. There will be a free section with sample content and a members' site that is password protected. Can anybody suggest a host that meets this spec, and you have experience with this host? I also need a guru/webite master that provides consulting and a little bit of coding to get me started. There's lots I don't know and I need someone who is an expert at all this so that I get the site protected and as fast and efficient as possible. Lastly, I have next to no budget! Please send money. Have your credit card ready! Operators are standing by to take your call. :)

http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml350GB of space and 3TB of bandwidth for $5/mo, they are a reliable host also. If you want to compare download speeds for your site from around the world, you can use this site:http://internetsupervision.com/You can use that to check the speeds of the host's sites to compare. www.hostgator.com loads pretty quickly from around the world, but the best I've seen is www.theplanet.com, they are a very large host with a ton of bandwidth, but you're going to pay more.

• 4 weeks later...

www.dntemple.com for free TLD you only have to get 200 posts for a .com or a .net domainI got mine from there :) very quick and easyand you might wanna type SpEeDyZ in the referal box while registering !How it worksYou get 5 DNbucks for each post and 100 dnbucks == 0.669 Eurosso once you get 1000 dnbucks you can convert it into Euros and in an instant you can get 6.99 Euros in your account and can buy a domain straight away

• 1 month later...

Name: IsMyWebsitePrice: FREEServer-side Scripting: PHPDatabases: MySQLSpace: 100MB standard, can get moreBandwidth: 1GB/month standard, can get moreAds: Yes, but very small and customizable. Placing ads actually benefits you!Web Address: Subdomain. Can be set up to work with your own domainAdditional comments: An extremely good service for several reasons:1. It's not just a web host, it's an entire community built around improving everyone's websites.2. It has loads of great features (custom FTP accounts, webmail, cPanel, and even a built-in virus scanner, etc.) that you would only normally get on an expensive paid host.3. You can get more features, space and bandwidth simply by asking4. It has a very simple-to-use web site.5. Sites are classified into several catagories. You can move up catagories by improving your site, and the higher your catagory, the more space and bandwidth you get.6. It's completely different! It's been set up to provide webmasters with what they want, not to make its owner a lot of moneyAs you can see, I'm very satisfied with this host, and I'd recommend it to everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used various hosts over the years, both paid and free (GoDaddy = bad). The best experience has been with Deluxe Host aka DHost; they've hosted my sites for four years and counting and I haven't had any problems except for this one really long downtime (2 months) about a year and a half ago. But, they're free, they have PHP and MySQL support, and they have a support forum as well. 100 MB, and virtually unlimited bandwidth.If you're looking for something like that... give it a shot. Take a close look at their Terms of Service as they do have a few restrictions (very reasonable!)Side Note: If you don't need PHP/MySQL or a lot of space, use their sister service, XT Host.Oh, another note: If you become a DHost user, and you're running out of the 100 MB space, just ask for more. As long as you're still within the ToS and have a good reason you can get (virtually) unlimited space.EDIT: This is a good host for small sites. If you're looking for a corporate or business site I suggest you look elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

This one needs to be updated...Name: 110mb.comPrice: FreeServer side scripting(s)/database(s): PHP(free), Perl(paid), Python(paid), MySQL(paid), ASP(future?)Space: 5GBBandwidth: 300GBAds: only on error pagesWeb address: subdomainComments: This is perfect for me as a penny-pinching coder. I've never noticed any downtime, although I have seen box-specific advisories on the forum. They have several paid upgrades available, .htaccess and MySQL being the most tempting for me. I might upgrade or migrate once my site gets off the ground, but until then I have no real reason to.

I am using free host service of Awardspace (http://myloves124.awardspace.com)Recently (from 26th Aug), connection to the site becomes very weak, just good when I wake up early at 5am.I ask my friend living in USA, France, Korea ... they say the connection still be good.At the same time, in my country, there is a big domain attacking (victim is the biggest hosting provider) that make many sites corrupt (they maybe not accessible, or be put frame tag to redirect to another site) So is there any relation between weak connection to my site and that event ???Thanks so much :)