WAMP

CNT

Looks like I will need to do a clean format. I think the duplicate is from downloading/installing the trail HTML editors. I knew I will endup format the HDD, but I rather wait little longer. So, where to adjust the config for the PHP?More questions... is IIS a web server?Is installing the PHP from php.net makes it a PHP server, not a web server?Is installing a SQL Server makes it a database server, not a web server? I really like to learn how to do a database server because then I could store name, address, etc from a registration page. And then on top of that, I need to learn how to have a clueless user to read or exract data from it (as I am designing the website for this person). I have SQL Server 2008 (included with my VS2008).So, first, I think I need to understand if or how I have a web server on my own laptop. And along with that, how or where the PHP residences with a web server. The SQL thing can wait.Chuck

Looks like I will need to do a clean format. I think the duplicate is from downloading/installing the trail HTML editors. I knew I will endup format the HDD, but I rather wait little longer. So, where to adjust the config for the PHP?More questions... is IIS a web server?
yes.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Information_Services
Is installing the PHP from php.net makes it a PHP server, not a web server?
No, PHP is a server side scripting language.http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp
Is installing a SQL Server makes it a database server, not a web server? I really like to learn how to do a database server because then I could store name, address, etc from a registration page. And then on top of that, I need to learn how to have a clueless user to read or exract data from it (as I am designing the website for this person). I have SQL Server 2008 (included with my VS2008).
it could.
So, first, I think I need to understand if or how I have a web server on my own laptop. And along with that, how or where the PHP residences with a web server. The SQL thing can wait.
That's why you are trying to install WAMP, right? It will configure your computer to run Apache, a web server, which supports PHP, as well as giving you access to a local MySQL database.

More questions... is IIS a web server?
Yes, IIS is Microsoft's web server software.
Is installing the PHP from php.net makes it a PHP server, not a web server?
No, it's a web server that supports PHP. PHP is an application the web server runs. When the web server gets a request for a PHP script it executes the PHP application and passes to it the PHP source code of the file that was requested. PHP executes the code and passes the result back to the web server. The installation you are doing is setting up the process by which the web server knows to execute PHP when a .php file is requested, where PHP is installed, etc.
Is installing a SQL Server makes it a database server, not a web server?
No, it makes it a web server and a database server. High-use web sites split those tasks up and use dedicated web servers and dedicated database servers.

Archived